Linux Boot Partition

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
aaron_pactime
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Linux Boot Partition

Post by aaron_pactime »

Hello Support,

After installing Linux CentOS on the server, we are trying to update the OS. However we encounter the following.

installing package kernel-3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64 needs 15MB on the /boot filesystem

Here is a snapshot of the filesystem after install. See how the /boot is 92% full.

Please advise..
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Linux Boot Partition

Post by soja »

tip: you can use df -h to get that output in "human readable" format, like this:

It is generally a safe option to delete the files in that partition except your current OS version, I have done this with success in the past. If you can, leave the versions before and after your current OS version as well. If you want, you can post the output of ls -al inside /boot, as well as uname -r and I can tell you which files are probably safe to delete so you can update.

I would really recommend NFO change the size of /boot on VM images. I ran into these problems with my VDS too.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Linux Boot Partition

Post by Edge100x »

200 MB is plenty of space for /boot, but the OS didn't clean it out properly in this case following many updates, most likely. I will work on updating the images.