Custom Maps On COD4 Server

Jackal
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Custom Maps On COD4 Server

Post by Jackal »

Greetings, I have a new COD4 server and I am running OpenWarfare2 Mod. Can someone please tell me how to correctly get custom maps to run. I have already made my usermaps folder but I am stuck from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :roll:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Custom Maps On COD4 Server

Post by kraze »

You would just need to upload your custom maps to the usermaps folder and then set the map cycle via the bottom of your server.cfg. Your map cycle should look like this.

Code: Select all

set sv_mapRotation "gametype dm map mp_backlot gametype dm map mp_bloc
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

kraze wrote:You would just need to upload your custom maps to the usermaps folder and then set the map cycle via the bottom of your server.cfg. Your map cycle should look like this.

Code: Select all

set sv_mapRotation "gametype dm map mp_backlot gametype dm map mp_bloc
I am sure you mean the server.cfg in the openwarfare2 mod and I tried that and when I loaded the map it crashed the server. I even tried to add it to the main server.cfg also and the same thing, server crash. I think it might be the openwarfare2 mod. I read something today that said openwarfare2 mod really does not like custom maps much so I am going to download a different version tonight and try that. Since openwarfare.com no longer exists it is hard to find documentation for the mod and I am winging it from my other server experience.

Also I think there may be another problem. OpenWarfare2 mod came with a server.cfg that is supposed to be in the mod file so now I have two server.cfg files one in the main and one in the mod. If this is wrong please let me know. :oops:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You'll want to use the one that's in the mod file. Also, have you tried using a different custom map to see if that makes a difference?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

kraze wrote:You'll want to use the one that's in the mod file. Also, have you tried using a different custom map to see if that makes a difference?
Should I remove the server.cfg that's in the main and put the one that's in the mod in the main?
ZacharyS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by ZacharyS »

I read something today that said openwarfare2 mod really does not like custom maps much so I am going to download a different version tonight and try that. Since openwarfare.com no longer exists it is hard to find documentation for the mod and I am winging it from my other server experience.
The OpenWarfare 2 mod loves custom maps - you have to be careful however that you don't exceed the xmodel limits.

Firstly you shouldn't leave the COD4 mp server config file with the default name. My Clan runs an OW2 modded server along with some other servers and so I find it's better to rename the file to something relevant like for eg OW2.cfg (not the actual name :wink: ) This is basically a standard COD4 mp cfg file but has a couple of extra lines in it to load the OW2 config files.

I'm not sure exactly how much you know about setting up an OW2 server and I don't want to assume anything.

As I'm sure you know there are A LOT of config files included with the mod and it's important to make sure that the main cfg files actually load the correct files.

Don't use the main config file to set the map cycle, there's a file in the config directory called mapcontrol.cfg which is the one you should be using. It's in the config directroy under "server" If you have the complete mod then you should have four directories under the "configs" folder. There should also be 2 cfg files in the root of that folder called "new_stuff.cfg" and openwarfare.cfg

The new stuff file sometimes gets incorrectly referenced from the main config file (sometimes it's referenced as new-stuff.cfg) so make sure it's actually pointing to the real file otherwise all the cool stuff contained in there won't work.

If I can help you with any advice on setting up the OW2 mod then I'd be glad to help. You can contact me here, at my Clan's site, or pop onto our TS if you like, I'm usually on around 17:00 - 19:00 every day.

It was a little challenging to setup initially, but it's well worth the effort because it's a great mod.

You can also find the details of our OW2 mod on our site's portal page if you'd like to check that out.

Zac. :D
Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

ZacharyS wrote:
I read something today that said openwarfare2 mod really does not like custom maps much so I am going to download a different version tonight and try that. Since openwarfare.com no longer exists it is hard to find documentation for the mod and I am winging it from my other server experience.
The OpenWarfare 2 mod loves custom maps - you have to be careful however that you don't exceed the xmodel limits.

Firstly you shouldn't leave the COD4 mp server config file with the default name. My Clan runs an OW2 modded server along with some other servers and so I find it's better to rename the file to something relevant like for eg OW2.cfg (not the actual name :wink: ) This is basically a standard COD4 mp cfg file but has a couple of extra lines in it to load the OW2 config files.

I'm not sure exactly how much you know about setting up an OW2 server and I don't want to assume anything.

As I'm sure you know there are A LOT of config files included with the mod and it's important to make sure that the main cfg files actually load the correct files.

Don't use the main config file to set the map cycle, there's a file in the config directory called mapcontrol.cfg which is the one you should be using. It's in the config directroy under "server" If you have the complete mod then you should have four directories under the "configs" folder. There should also be 2 cfg files in the root of that folder called "new_stuff.cfg" and openwarfare.cfg

The new stuff file sometimes gets incorrectly referenced from the main config file (sometimes it's referenced as new-stuff.cfg) so make sure it's actually pointing to the real file otherwise all the cool stuff contained in there won't work.

If I can help you with any advice on setting up the OW2 mod then I'd be glad to help. You can contact me here, at my Clan's site, or pop onto our TS if you like, I'm usually on around 17:00 - 19:00 every day.

It was a little challenging to setup initially, but it's well worth the effort because it's a great mod.

You can also find the details of our OW2 mod on our site's portal page if you'd like to check that out.

Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

Jackal wrote:
ZacharyS wrote:

Thanks for the reply Zac,

I think from what you are telling me there is a conflict with the main server.cfg and the mod server.cfg. I will rename the mod server.cfg to ow2.cfg and add a setting in the main server.cfg

exec ow2.cfg

That will load all the .cfg files correctly.

I also noticed that the main server.cfg and the mod server.cfg has a lot of the same settings so I will comment them out of the main server.cfg so all the settings will run from the ow2.cfg

Thanks for all your help :D :wink:

Oh by the way here is my COD4 server IP 74.91.123.103:28960
It runs fine it just will not load custom maps right now till I fix it.
Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

kraze wrote:You'll want to use the one that's in the mod file. Also, have you tried using a different custom map to see if that makes a difference?

:oops: Well I feel like a real idiot right now. Kraze you were right it was the map mp_dust2 will not run on the server. I downloaded a different map and it runs just fine.

I want to thank Kraze and Zac for taking the time to answer my posts you guys are the greatest.

Since I am new to Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare this server setup was different for me.

I have setup many HalfLife and HalfLife2 related servers and you know what? COD4 is much easier.

Thanks again for your help I only wish mp_dust2 would run oh well.

Oh by the way how come the maps will not show up on the Map Control Panel of the ACP Admin Mod menu of the OpenWarfare Mod?

ZacharyS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by ZacharyS »

There's no need to feel an "idiot" :lol: It's a steep learning curve but once you've worked it out you'll wonder why you thought it was all so hard.

Ok now to answer your last question.

The maps that are displayed in the ACP need to be added to the advanced acp config file.

Look again in the "server" config folder at the top of the list should be a config file called "advancedacp.cfg" at around line 45 (in my cfg it is in any case) add the new maps you want to be able to load to that line using the same syntax as the existing maps. Make sure you get the correct map name and of course make sure it's uploaded to your redirect if you want people to be able to download the maps when joining your server (if they don't already have them). Don't forget to use a semi-colon to separate the map names. If all has gone according to plan then you'll see the new maps you added in the acp in-game.

Now if you are using the vote map function at the end of each round - you'll need to add the new maps to another file called "advancedmvs.cfg" which should be in the same directory as the one above. This time the line # is around 47, but the procedure for adding the maps is identical to before. HOWEVER there is one more step you need to undertake so that the maps display with a "human friendly" name (ie not mp_blah blah - but for example mp_term which is a great map I have set to display as "MW2 Terminal".

You need to go back to the "advancedacp.cfg" file and look around line # 48 which is directly under a line that says "// Human readable names for Custom Maps. Multiple lines are allowed in case the value goes over 1024 characters." So for example you could place in there something like this

set scr_custom_map_names_1 "mp_mw2_term=MW2 Terminal;mp_dome=MW3 Dome;mp_fav=Favella"

Then the players will be able to choose from the maps you list, be aware though that if you put a map in there that you don't have on your server then you'll probably either crash the server OR it'll load a random map that you don't want - or even get stuck in a loop.

I hope that's helpful, the best thing to do is just look through those huge # of cfg files and try out the options.

ZacharyS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by ZacharyS »

I'm sorry for the double post mods/admins but I can't see an "edit" option on my post (I think I left it too long before trying to edit the post )

Jackal - I've just tried to access your server and I'm only getting 12 kb/s for the map download which usually means that the map isn't in your redirect. Don't forget to put all the maps you want to run in the cod4/usermaps folder on the redirect AND in the usermaps folder of the server install. If you already have the map downloaded, then you won't notice the slow speed coz you already have it on your system, but anyone trying to join the server will give up because they have to wait over an hour to download the map file by which time the server will have moved on to the next or even the next after the next map :wink:

The map name was mp_hhk_ballroom - so maybe just check the usermaps folders in your COD4 install AND on the redirect usermaps folder.

You probably know this stuff, but it's always good to state the obvious I think :lol:

Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

ZacharyS wrote:I'm sorry for the double post mods/admins but I can't see an "edit" option on my post (I think I left it too long before trying to edit the post )

Jackal - I've just tried to access your server and I'm only getting 12 kb/s for the map download which usually means that the map isn't in your redirect. Don't forget to put all the maps you want to run in the cod4/usermaps folder on the redirect AND in the usermaps folder of the server install. If you already have the map downloaded, then you won't notice the slow speed coz you already have it on your system, but anyone trying to join the server will give up because they have to wait over an hour to download the map file by which time the server will have moved on to the next or even the next after the next map :wink:

The map name was mp_hhk_ballroom - so maybe just check the usermaps folders in your COD4 install AND on the redirect usermaps folder.

You probably know this stuff, but it's always good to state the obvious I think :lol:

Oh darn it I forgot to do web sync thanks for telling me
Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

ZacharyS wrote:There's no need to feel an "idiot" :lol: It's a steep learning curve but once you've worked it out you'll wonder why you thought it was all so hard.

Ok now to answer your last question.

The maps that are displayed in the ACP need to be added to the advanced acp config file.

Look again in the "server" config folder at the top of the list should be a config file called "advancedacp.cfg" at around line 45 (in my cfg it is in any case) add the new maps you want to be able to load to that line using the same syntax as the existing maps. Make sure you get the correct map name and of course make sure it's uploaded to your redirect if you want people to be able to download the maps when joining your server (if they don't already have them). Don't forget to use a semi-colon to separate the map names. If all has gone according to plan then you'll see the new maps you added in the acp in-game.

Now if you are using the vote map function at the end of each round - you'll need to add the new maps to another file called "advancedmvs.cfg" which should be in the same directory as the one above. This time the line # is around 47, but the procedure for adding the maps is identical to before. HOWEVER there is one more step you need to undertake so that the maps display with a "human friendly" name (ie not mp_blah blah - but for example mp_term which is a great map I have set to display as "MW2 Terminal".

You need to go back to the "advancedacp.cfg" file and look around line # 48 which is directly under a line that says "// Human readable names for Custom Maps. Multiple lines are allowed in case the value goes over 1024 characters." So for example you could place in there something like this

set scr_custom_map_names_1 "mp_mw2_term=MW2 Terminal;mp_dome=MW3 Dome;mp_fav=Favella"

Then the players will be able to choose from the maps you list, be aware though that if you put a map in there that you don't have on your server then you'll probably either crash the server OR it'll load a random map that you don't want - or even get stuck in a loop.

I hope that's helpful, the best thing to do is just look through those huge # of cfg files and try out the options.

Just did the web sync, thanks again Zac you are the man. I also just looked at the advanced acp config and thanks for that info also. When I put my GUID in there for admin I did not read it much further than that and I now see where to add the map names, I will do that tomorrow. I did add another map that would not run and had to take it out of the rotation(mp_convoyassault_v1 will not run either) I don't get it because it runs on the f4h server(Fight 4 Honor) and that is also a NFO server so I don't know why it will not run on mine. Anyway I do have a lot of settings to do in the config files especially when I drop that nuke on killstreaks LOL. I love this mod.

I am glad that I posted this to the forums since most of the posts for COD4 are outdated and I am sure this post will help others with there server issues. Also I did check out your website and it looks nice but I can't find your COD4 server can you put the IP in for it I would like to come in and play.
ZacharyS
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by ZacharyS »

You're very welcome Jackal, it sounds like you know what you're doing so it should be a breeze once you look through all the configs.

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post in the way of links on here, so the best way to find our servers is to either visit our site and select the "Servers" menu option (top of the page on the right in blue) or check out "Ci13" on Gametracker, oh one other thing I should mention is that we use the COD4X version 1.8 modified file on our servers. Basically it provides for anti-collision in teams and various other tweaks to the COD4 universe including being able to run slightly larger maps and maps with more than the stock maximum xmodels. I believe that some of the maps you try might work if you update to the COD4X binary. However, they do have some conditions for it's use that you should read carefully on their site, especially if you're going to add things to the mod, such as logos or sound files etc,.

One thing which really puzzled me about OW2 when I first started was the fact that "Ambient Weapons" are listed. I could never see them, BUT they only show when there are 5 players or more on the server. If you want to check out those effects when you're on the server on your own you can always activate the bots in the config, be aware though that the bots are totally dumb - they're only there so you can test out servers etc,, they're certainly not pezbots :)

Also you might find that the "Nuke" perk crashes your server if you have more than 32 slots, so probably best to try that out with a large # of bots and rack up your killstreaks until you get to the nuke. I only discovered it by accident one time in the middle of a game with some friends D'OH :) That was a previous version of the mod though, not this one, but I believe it's still a known issue.

Anything else just post :D

Oh and I'm in the process of updating the website, but that probably won't happen for a while coz RL is getting in the way atm.

Peace.

Jackal
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Jackal »

8O Well Zac I have one more question,

How do I get the bots to work?

I have this in my ow2.cfg and in the server\others.cfg

// Enables the ability to use test bots for testing
// 0 = Disabled (default), 1 = Enabled
set scr_allow_testclients "1"

// Leave this value at 0 until you enter the server.
// Make sure to uncomment it if you plan on using it.
// Whatever calue is then entered will spawn that many bots.
// 0 = default
set scr_testclients "0"

When I go in the server and drop the console and type,
scr_testclients 10 it comes up unknown command

I have even tried scr_allow_testclients 1 with the same result unknown command

I have even tried the commands this way,
/scr_testclients 10 or /scr_allow_testclients 1 same result unknown command

and this way set scr_testclients 10 or set scr_allow_testclients unknown command

and /set scr_testclients 10 or /set scr_allow_testclients unknown command

I am at a loss with this one. :?: :roll: