Mail import/export

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
vano
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Mail import/export

Post by vano »

Hello everybody,

Today I got in contact with NFOServers about how I can import mail into the webmail. The mail was exported from another server to my local hard drive.
Since there is no option for import/export mail in Roundcube, they adviced me to:

1.install my own webmail/client on my webhosting account which functionality I could use to import.
or 2. Write a script on the webhosting account that uploads the mails for you. (With Perl modules).

Is there anyone who could help me getting started with this cause I really don't know, is there maybe a simple to install webmailclient that has import or export functionality?

I would like to hear all of your possible answers.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Mail import/export

Post by kraze »

As an alternative (assuming the old mail server you used is still online) you would use most web based emails (Gmail) to import all of your mail. I also haven't explored this one personally, but in theory you could install Thunderbird to your local client and connect it up to your email here, and then import your mail into Thunderbird. It *should* then sync.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I've only seen one person contact us to ask about this, and it was today. I personally advised that person. Here is what I said.
There are many ways that you can do what you're asking about.

The easiest would be to install a full email client on your personal machine and just copy the emails over to the server using that. Thunderbird is an example of a good, free email client.

You could also install your own webmail or other client on your webhosting account, and use its functionality for this. You mentioned Horde; I'm not familiar with it, but it may be one option, if our hosting meets its prerequisites (and if it supports this type of importing).

Another option would be to write a script on the webhosting account (or anywhere else) that uploads for you. There are Perl modules that would make this easy, and likely others in many other languages.

One place for further help on tackling interesting software problems is our forum here: viewforum.php?f=45. We can't generally help with software here with direct support; to keep our costs down and support quality high, we limit what we handle to base elements of the services that we directly run (such as what settings to use to connect).
I mentioned the second and third options for completeness; the customer also asked about using webmail (more specifically, Horde).

The easiest solution is the first, and primary option, of using Thunderbird. In Thunderbird, you can just drag-and-drop the emails where you want them to go. I'd only recommend the others if you have extra time on your hands and want to do one of them as a way to sharpen your skills.

If you are the customer who asked -- who also said that he wrote the documentation for Horde -- and you would still strongly prefer to use that, please don't hesitate to do so. We offer shell access to our webhosting accounts here, so all of the tools are available.

I really do recommend installing a real email client, though, in general. Web-based clients try to imitate the features of real email clients, and they're great to use when you're on the road, on someone else's machine, or just rarely use email, but they just don't equal something like Thunderbird.
vano
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vano »

Thanks for your reply.

I think the thunderbird option would be the worst for me, because then I can only read my mails on my pc which has thunderbird installed.

But how about my iPhone, iPad and other devices which are dependent from the mail that is stored on the server (webmail). Therefore I am looking to another solution.
About gmail, In that case I should make a new mailadres to store the mails and that wouldn't be desirable..

You said I could get Shell Access so I can follow the documentation of horde.
Is there a way you could describe/make a picture of how I can get here? Cause I can't really find it..
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

vano wrote:I think the thunderbird option would be the worst for me, because then I can only read my mails on my pc which has thunderbird installed.
That is not the case. If you use IMAP to access your email, it will be available through all of your clients. There is no reason to not use IMAP.
But how about my iPhone, iPad and other devices which are dependent from the mail that is stored on the server (webmail).
IMAP (the standard method of accessing email) stores all email on the server. Your iPhone and other devices also default to using IMAP.
You said I could get Shell Access so I can follow the documentation of horde.
Is there a way you could describe/make a picture of how I can get here? Cause I can't really find it..
You can connect through SSH using a client such as PuTTY. The information used to connect is shown on File Manager page, as it's the same as the SFTP information.
vano
New to forums
New to forums

Post by vano »

Alright, that is pretty easy! I'm really satisfied with the support, thank you!!