Managed vs Unmanaged IP treatment.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Managed vs Unmanaged IP treatment.

Post by $atanic $pirit »

I could never wrap my head around the whole IP allotment process between managed vs unmanaged. Why is it that people who manage their servers on their own are handed short end of the stick when it comes to IP. On a managed machine you can get unlimited IPs at no extra cost.

It just seems like customers are punished for taking the load off of NFO.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Managed vs Unmanaged IP treatment.

Post by kraze »

Mainly because our internal system was designed around each service getting its own IP with the default port, it's been kept that way for so long due to legacy reasons. It'd also be fairly complicated to rework the system into allowing that, but with IPv4 officially running out and prices skyrocketing that may need to change (It's something we've discussed internally a few times).
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Correct. It is not going to be the case forever. That's just how we handle servers in our managed system right now, and I have not yet had the opportunity to rework the system.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Would you not agree, that 1 IP per core would be a better system, regardless of it being managed or unmanaged?

2 core = 2 IPs
3 core = 3 IPs

That way you can better manage the IP hoarding, as it happens on a lot of managed systems. People just install 10 different servers, but only few of them are active, while the dormant ones lock the IPs.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

No. Most people do not actually need more than one IP address, and we have a very limited number of them. Charging extra for any additional IP addresses makes the most sense.

As we indicated, the managed IP address system is a legacy one and only allows more than one IP address per customer VDS because that is how it was originally designed. When it is revamped, it will likely use a single IP address, as with unmanaged services. That has not been decided yet, however, and won't be decided until it is actually revamped.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

I would take there hasn't been a set date for the revamp.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's one of many projects that are in the hopper, with no firm timeline. The priority of these projects is dynamic and based on balancing short- and long-term needs. The major determiners for the priority of changing how managed servers work are how many customers we have for those services and how many IP addresses remain.

A related project is IPv6 support.

Unfortunately, changing how IPs work in our system is complicated.