ArmA 3 "All 3 servers are causing CLIENT-SIDE memory crashes".

Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ArmA 3 "All 3 servers are causing CLIENT-SIDE memory crashes".

Post by Drifter »

Hello, I am having an issue with all of our ArmA 3 servers. 2 Modded and 1 Vanilla. Every person on our public #1 VANILLA SERVER are having this issue upon joining the server, they get immediately kicked for this error,
"The instruction at 0x009bfd77 referenced memory at 0x0310b425. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program"
This error has been happening from the start of ArmA 3 Version 1.58, first starting with our Public #2 modded server up to, update "1.62 (APEX)", and is still occurring. On the day and release of "1.62 APEX" it started happening on our public server on a severe level. We are not sure what is causing this issue, the server is not crashing at all, it is just giving people memory crashes. I have tried wiping our servers, removing mods, reinstalling mods, running the full repair option and googled if anybody else was encountering this issue.

Thank you for any help given.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: ArmA 3 "All 3 servers are causing CLIENT-SIDE memory crashes".

Post by Edge100x »

This would have to be a game bug.

After you wiped the server, did you run it without making any changes (completely vanilla) for a time?
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Edge100x wrote:This would have to be a game bug.

After you wiped the server, did you run it without making any changes (completely vanilla) for a time?
Correct, ran the server pure vanilla, joined with no mods. However it seems mods do cause memory crashes to be more severe.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Nothing short of examing the crash dump can tell you what exactly is causing this - and this is something that only Bohemia can do reliably in combination with ArmA3.

Personally, I have never seen this happen on my end, though there are several feedback reports on various memory crashes and ArmA is a huge memory hog.

What you can try is to use the default windows memory allocator (not any custom/or dev versions), check and compare the starting parameters for the clients that crash and try to run the server without any mods on a default mission from Bohemia (End Game for example, or Zeus) - not any user made mission.
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Caliban55 wrote:Nothing short of examing the crash dump can tell you what exactly is causing this - and this is something that only Bohemia can do reliably in combination with ArmA3.

Personally, I have never seen this happen on my end, though there are several feedback reports on various memory crashes and ArmA is a huge memory hog.

What you can try is to use the default windows memory allocator (not any custom/or dev versions), check and compare the starting parameters for the clients that crash and try to run the server without any mods on a default mission from Bohemia (End Game for example, or Zeus) - not any user made mission.
I have tried the memory Allocator and it doesn't work. I will try a different mission. Although this only seems to happen to our servers according to our public players, they play on other Vanilla Invade and Annex servers with the same mission version as us and it still crashes for them on our server. I will post back here if we have any luck or more problems.
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Drifter wrote:
Caliban55 wrote:Nothing short of examing the crash dump can tell you what exactly is causing this - and this is something that only Bohemia can do reliably in combination with ArmA3.

I have tried the memory Allocator and it doesn't work. I will try a different mission. Although this only seems to happen to our servers according to our public players, they play on other Vanilla Invade and Annex servers with the same mission version as us and it still crashes for them on our server. I will post back here if we have any luck or more problems.
Plus I don't think it helps, if I don't even know if my ArmA has a memory ALLOC or even know how to install one. All I know about the memory Allocator is to put the memory allocator parameter in my game start parameters. So, I'm not really sure.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

If you did not specify a memory allocator, the default system one will be used (and this should not be changed). Your RPT file will log which alocator is used also.

Apart from that, only the examination of the crash dump files will tell what is causing this exactly. The only thing we can do here is suggest possible things related to that, but it is really like fishing in the dark - on a client side problem on top :wink: .

What you can also try to to is disable BattlEye on the server and/or ask your players to start ArmA3 through the arma3battleye.exe with the following parameter directly:

Code: Select all

arma3battleye.exe 2 1
Also try to run the server with a direct config mission (like End Game) for an extended duration with several players, not a mission downloaded somewhere from the Internet.

Just to verify the server.cfg can you please post your configuration? Are you using file patching/allowing this for clients?
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Caliban55 wrote:If you did not specify a memory allocator, the default system one will be used (and this should not be changed). Your RPT file will log which alocator is used also.

Apart from that, only the examination of the crash dump files will tell what is causing this exactly. The only thing we can do here is suggest possible things related to that, but it is really like fishing in the dark - on a client side problem on top :wink: .

What you can also try to to is disable BattlEye on the server and/or ask your players to start ArmA3 through the arma3battleye.exe with the following parameter directly:

arma3battleye.exe 2 1
Also try to run the server with a direct config mission (like End Game) for an extended duration with several players, not a mission downloaded somewhere from the Internet.

Just to verify the server.cfg can you please post your configuration? Are you using file patching/allowing this for clients?
This is our public server Config.cfg (No mods and the issue just started when APEX released) - http://pastebin.com/cLZeitMf
This is our public #2 server Config.cfg (Some mods and the issue started back in 1.58 and was never fixed) - http://pastebin.com/ESWhTdLd
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Another long-shot idea: Do the players that crash use any custom sounds/graphics? And how does the server handle that (allows/don't allows/size limit)? This is set in your basic config file with the

MaxCustomFileSize = 0;
setting. 0 means don't allow any custom files, > 0 size in bytes. Try to disable it and then check the connections and after that check it with a size around 50kb.

The clients crashing upon connecting would indicate something happening in the pre-init/init stage.
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Just took a look at your server configuration files:
The following commands are outdated/deprecated and should not be used:
equalModRequired=0;
regularcheck="{}";
verifySignature should always be set to 2.

You can find a up-to-date config template here:
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Caliban55 wrote:Just took a look at your server configuration files:
The following commands are outdated/deprecated and should not be used:
equalModRequired=0;
regularcheck="{}";
verifySignature should always be set to 2.

You can find a up-to-date config template here:
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg
I will try this, not sure if this would do anything as this "Memory cannot read" error use to only be present on our Public #2 modded server, however on our private server (With the same mods as the Public #2 and MORE) did not cause any crashes on our private server. Our private server had about 80-90% of the configuration options, apart from the passwords and battleye settings (Which I will try the BE settings soon, however in the past disabling BI on our PUB#2 did not even work.)

I just tried to join our public #1 Vanilla server with no mods, custom files or missions and instantly on the loading screen after choosing a slot I get the error, "Memory cannot be read".
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

UPDATE: Still gives memory errors even using default A3 mission " Altis End Game".
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Drifter wrote:UPDATE: Still gives memory errors even using default A3 mission " Altis End Game".
Another UPDATE: Default BI TBB4 memory allocator did not work. No mods running, pure vanilla bone stock game and server. Still causing memory crash upon loading after choosing a slot.

My crash file - http://pastebin.com/gQThXRjL
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

Indeed... I tried to connect to your public server and also got a CTD. Well, there is always a first :mrgreen: ...

What kind of server are you using - VDS/Dedicated (and what version of Windows)? And how did you install the ArmA3 server (app_id)? Are you using any 3rd party launcher for the server (TADST)?
Drifter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Drifter »

Caliban55 wrote:Indeed... I tried to connect to your public server and also got a CTD. Well, there is always a first :mrgreen: ...

What kind of server are you using - VDS/Dedicated (and what version of Windows)? And how did you install the ArmA3 server (app_id)? Are you using any 3rd party launcher for the server (TADST)?
We are running a VDS, windows I believe we are on 2012 R2, ArmA 3 server was installed via the game installer using the control panel, we are not using a 3rd Party Luancher.

Sorry for the late response, was out camping with the family, and the issue is still occuring.