Thinking of migrating to NFO

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
pbyr
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Thinking of migrating to NFO

Post by pbyr »

Hello I'm here because a community I'm part of is thinking of migrating to a different server provider.
We use 3 different providers and one of them has a terrible routing issue (some ISP customers getting packet losses on peak hours).

I tested on some servers that nfoservers provide, and they never had these issues so I figured I would look around here.

We have 7 CSGO servers, 4 of them with 64 slot and other one being 32. The rest is just a test server that's frequently used, but has like 8 players at best.

So technically we would be running about 5 active CSGO servers and we definitely want to have at least 5 different IPs. We get /29 from current providers so we were okay with that, but I noticed that's $2.99 each here. Is that a one-time fee or reoccurring monthly?
Do we only get ONE IP when we go dedicated unmanaged?

Also I noticed there are some people who are very knowledgeable of running a well configured 64 slots.
What settings would you recommend to reduce server chokes for a 64-slot CSGO server?

This is our current configuration:
sv_force_transmit_players 0
net_splitrate 2
sv_minrate 128000
sv_maxrate 0
sm_cvar sv_stats 0
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Thinking of migrating to NFO

Post by kraze »

I am glad to hear you're considering us as your provider!

If you ever see network related issues on our network definitely be sure to contact us. We're one of the few providers around who are capable and more than willing to reroute clients around problem areas. Sometimes what we can do is limited, but we'll always take a look to see if anything can be done.

Currently, we only issue a single IP for self-managed customers with additional IPs costing $2.99 per month. Sadly, since IPv4 has ran out the prices for IPs has sky-rocketed (think $10+ per IP). Also, the rates you listed look pretty good, but you may also want to add in net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000. As for Choke, generally choke shouldn't occur unless the server is somehow overloaded or if the server is sending too much data to the client and then slow down or chokes it back.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
pbyr
New to forums
New to forums

Post by pbyr »

kraze wrote:I am glad to hear you're considering us as your provider!

If you ever see network related issues on our network definitely be sure to contact us. We're one of the few providers around who are capable and more than willing to reroute clients around problem areas. Sometimes what we can do is limited, but we'll always take a look to see if anything can be done.

Currently, we only issue a single IP for self-managed customers with additional IPs costing $2.99 per month. Sadly, since IPv4 has ran out the prices for IPs has sky-rocketed (think $10+ per IP). Also, the rates you listed look pretty good, but you may also want to add in net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000. As for Choke, generally choke shouldn't occur unless the server is somehow overloaded or if the server is sending too much data to the client and then slow down or chokes it back.
Oh, it's monthly. Hm... that might be a little bit of a problem for us.

I don't think net_splitpacket_maxrate is an existing nor locked convar in CSGO.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You can always go with a managed setup, currently IPs are free there. Unless you're doing something advance with your setups that requires direct access to the machine we generally recommend managed.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

If youre seriously thinking of making the change to NFO, I highly recommend it. The hardware, bandwidth and customer service just cant be beat. Been with NFO for years. You can generally get a reply to a ticket within minutes, even in the middle of the night. I would recommend managed for you as well. Order a single server, set it up and try it out. As a new customer, you can cancel within 48 hours and get a refund if you are unhappy. So you really have nothing to lose.

Give it a shot!
pbyr
New to forums
New to forums

Post by pbyr »

The price was already a bit high for us so I don't think we could afford it with IPs being additional charge (four machines x 5 x 2.99 monthly for just IP).

Thanks for the timely and helpful responses.
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

You get one ip then buy an extra 2 and have two servers per ip with a different port. Nothing wrong with having different ports ex. 27015/27016
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I would recommend that you only purchase one additional IP -- to have one hidden IP for your own administration purposes, and one public IP for the game servers that you're looking to run.

There isn't much call to run game servers (for the same customer) on separate IP addresses nowadays. The only real benefit to it is in helping if one IP address gets null-routed, as the others will stay up. Null-routes are uncommon, though, and if you become the target of attacks, it's likely that the attacker would go after all of your servers.

For particularly large, high-tickrate servers, a dedicated machine would be the way to go. If you're struggling with the pricing for a dedicated machine, contact us directly and we can see if we can work with you on the particular configuration that you're looking for.

Network-wise, you shouldn't see better performance than we offer here. That's Internap's area of expertise, and we expand even further on it in Chicago and Seattle. If you do run into a network-related problem, we'll be happy to work with you to investigate and resolve it.