VPS Plan for multiple HL1 engine servers?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VPS Plan for multiple HL1 engine servers?

Post by blood2k »

Hey there, just looking at your VDS offers and have a couple questions about how this whole VDS thing works.. before I order.

I've used a VDS before.. but never for steam servers, it was more of a radio host for a local business website through my job. But in regards to game servers

If I'm running "unmanaged" is there typically some sort of steamCMD already installed with latest server updates to run a dedicated server? Or do I start with a blank desktop and download/update everything from scratch?

2. If I'm looking to stick with HL1 engine servers.. probably 3-4 servers maximum. What is the best package to order for maximum performance? (I won't be running webhosting on these) But I'm looking at running all 3-4 servers at 1000 FPS if possible.

3. Would I have to use the add IP Addresses addon for each extra server?

4. Do I need the windows install option? the extra memory? extra ssd ? extra bandwidth etc..

Sorry for the complete list.. but I usually just order a single server.. instead of a whole VPS. But it seems the better plan (financially) is to get a VPS through you guys.

This is my conclusion:
Grab the 6 core pakage.
"Access to six HT CPU cores (Intel Sandy Bridge or better)
6144 MB of RAM
600 GB of RAID-protected storage
36000 GB of bandwidth transfer"
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: VPS Plan for multiple HL1 engine servers?

Post by It'sRandinator »

blood2k wrote:Hey there, just looking at your VDS offers and have a couple questions about how this whole VDS thing works.. before I order.

I've used a VDS before.. but never for steam servers, it was more of a radio host for a local business website through my job. But in regards to game servers

If I'm running "unmanaged" is there typically some sort of steamCMD already installed with latest server updates to run a dedicated server? Or do I start with a blank desktop and download/update everything from scratch?

2. If I'm looking to stick with HL1 engine servers.. probably 3-4 servers maximum. What is the best package to order for maximum performance? (I won't be running webhosting on these) But I'm looking at running all 3-4 servers at 1000 FPS if possible.

3. Would I have to use the add IP Addresses addon for each extra server?

4. Do I need the windows install option? the extra memory? extra ssd ? extra bandwidth etc..[/b

1. You start with a "blank" desktop, you basically make folders and install Steamcmd via two commands if you're planning to use linux.

2. The six core should be fine.

3. If you want each server to have a dedicated IP address. You can get away with one and change the ports.. 27015, 27016, 27017 etc.

4. Bandwidth you're fine. SSD are you planning to run minecraft? RAM depends if you're going to run minecraft or how many addons you'll be running. Generally speaking you should be fine with 6GB if planning to run 4-6 servers.

As per if you need windows that's entirely up to you, my opinion windows is a little better for game servers, but you should pick an OS YOU are familiar with.

Note to get 1000 FPS you'll probably need a kernel tweak.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums

Post by blood2k »

Oh... how about in terms of ddos attacks and everything?

If I'm not compeltely tech savy how do I go about all of these kernel tweaks.. and everything else?
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

blood2k wrote:Oh... how about in terms of ddos attacks and everything?

If I'm not compeltely tech savy how do I go about all of these kernel tweaks.. and everything else?
NFO will filter out small attacks and null route med ones. There are also other measures you can take to prevent attacks through their firewall in the CP. So you should be good.

What games will you be running? You have the option to go with their managed vds.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums

Post by blood2k »

Ill most likely only be running cs 1.6 / condition zero servers for the time being.

Could you elaborate what exactly managed would mean?
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

So if you will be running 1.6 and CZ you can go the managed route which basically is taking away root access and you a given a control panel which you can create game servers without the need to configure anything in the OS, all you need to worry about is what plugins you'd like to use.

You can run 1000FPS servers through the CP as well, since NFO runs a custom kernel for their managed (linux) vds' I think, not sure but you can ask :)

Jonh, are the unmanaged distros customized?
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

You are clearly new to Linux, hence I would recommend you to go with managed service. Control Panel would be similar to what you see when you buy individual server.

4 servers = 4 cores

You should be good enough with 1 server per core, when it comes to HLDS.
It'sRandinator wrote: Jonh, are the unmanaged distros customized?
Yes, they are. Been using custom kernels for years.
blood2k
New to forums
New to forums

Post by blood2k »

I'm new, but a pretty quick learner. I actually took a stab in the dark and just ordered it last night. Took a little while figuring out all the commands using linux.. since it's only a black box. But to be honest I have everything installed.. and set up. At this point a lot of it can be done through FTP.

1 question I ask is where I can find scripts that will auto turn on server when it crashes...

and auto restart at a specific time

is there some sort of database to find this all at?

In terms of the managed cpanel, i believe it's a good $15-20 extra. I think I'd rather teach myself slowly and save the cash. Wouldnt something as simple as a pingbooster of some sort help me with the 1000 FPS? Or how would I go about getting this kernel.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Quick learning ability is not in question here. Managed Linux hosting would not increase your price, not even by a dime.

HLDS on Linux comes with an auto restart script, but it does fail at times. Ping Booster is once again using different scheduler from my knowledge. You need to understand kernel and its timers to have a better understanding of it.
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

$atanic $pirit wrote:Quick learning ability is not in question here. Managed Linux hosting would not increase your price, not even by a dime.

HLDS on Linux comes with an auto restart script, but it does fail at times. Ping Booster is once again using different scheduler from my knowledge. You need to understand kernel and its timers to have a better understanding of it.
This ^^

Managed comes with the ability to restart the server at intervals and it checks for crashes and tries to restart them.