Funcom drops Pingperfect as partner

It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Funcom drops Pingperfect as partner

Post by It'sRandinator »

So funcom drops Pingperfect as a partner, lol. I'm not surprised. They are looking for new partner(s). NFOServers should look into this.

Link:
http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/03/conan ... ches-7700/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Funcom drops Pingperfect as partner

Post by Edge100x »

We emailed them about it when we saw that, and it will be their call on how to proceed.

My advice to them and other developers in their position is to allow clients to run the servers, including the more vanilla ranked/official servers that have restricted settings and no mods. BF4 has shown that customers are willing to do that, even if they can't set much more than the server name and map cycle. That said, I would recommend a departure from BF4 and allow people to retain the ability to administrate those servers to at least a minimal extent, in the form of the ability to kick cheaters. A (free) system with revokable licenses, combined with a way for players to flag a server, would allow them to curb abuse of the kick/ban facility by providing a measure of accountability for misbehaving administrators.

With clients running the servers, they will be naturally spread out over different providers, and the better providers (which we hope to be counted among) should rise to the top, becoming popular among players and admins who are looking for fast and reliable services.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Yeah never been impressed with PingPerfect. IMHO they are bottom feeders and provide subpar server hosting. Been running Conan on our boxes and they have been running well, thus far. Imagine that.

:lol:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

No response from Funcom on this and it looks like they went with someone else for the official servers.

I don't know what their process was for that choice. It's possible that they already had them lined up when they bid farewell to the original provider. Or, they might have gone running to the first Google result, considering it the safest bet. They don't seem to be very familiar with game server providers or hosting :).

I continue to recommend that they switch to allowing anyone to host Official servers. If they feel the need to continue running servers themselves, it would be best to use multiple vendors, to increase the level of competition between them, and to allow the developer to assess, over time, who is a better partner and deserves more overall business.
Freyar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Freyar »

As much as this might sting...

I remember back in the day when NFO was hosting AA2.x and were competing with.. Home...something?
Having multiple Official servers hosted by two different companies made things so much better as an end-user. Meant that I could choose what worked for me the best. (I'm not going to say who I preferred back then. :wink: )
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

Edge100x wrote:No response from Funcom on this and it looks like they went with someone else for the official servers.
It looks like they did, they don't say who. It looks like they are planning on getting servers on every continent, perhaps multiple providers?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/440900/ ... 2933850650