Full Machine Latency issues

Eterniity42
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Full Machine Latency issues

Post by Eterniity42 »

I attempted to contact the NFO team via IRC but it appears to be down so trying here. We have a full machine that is have large FPS drops and stutters when ever anyone builds on the server. This can be with or with our plugins and we see same results. These results can also be seen on a fresh wipe with very little activity. I feel like a full machine running only this one server should be able to handle these types of issues. I have not been able to locate any other servers talking about this so it leads me to believe this to not be a game related issue but a host one and am trying to get some assistance in resolving this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Full Machine Latency issues

Post by Edge100x »

Eterniity42 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:58 am I attempted to contact the NFO team via IRC but it appears to be down so trying here.
We use GameSurge for our IRC channel and it has been continuously online for years. But, IRC is for community help, like the forums. If you need personalized help with a routing problem, the best thing to do would be to contact us directly through our support system, such as by email.
We have a full machine that is have large FPS drops and stutters when ever anyone builds on the server. This can be with or with our plugins and we see same results. These results can also be seen on a fresh wipe with very little activity. I feel like a full machine running only this one server should be able to handle these types of issues. I have not been able to locate any other servers talking about this so it leads me to believe this to not be a game related issue but a host one and am trying to get some assistance in resolving this.
We run servers for many of the largest Rust communities here and this is not a common complaint.

Some of the things you'll want to look at:

- What's the CPU usage like when you see the FPS dips? Are you seeing a single core on the machine being maxed out?
- Do you have the Spectre/Meltdown mitigations enabled on the server? If you are running only trusted code, have you tried disabling those?
- Does the "Resource Monitor" show a "Disk Queue Length" more than 1-5 on the "Disk" page? In the same vein, do you see any significant delays when you try to do general operations as an administrator (open the start menu, navigate through folders, etc)?
- Does the "Resource Monitor" show a "% Maximum Frequency" of less than 100% on the "CPU" page?
- Do you have plenty of available physical memory while the server is running?
- Have you tried turning off AI navigation as a test?
- Have you tried shrinking the map as a test?
- Does your MTR to the server show any packet loss?
- Do your Windows event logs show any errors? Look specifically for disk errors and login audit failures, which are some of the more common performance-related events; but, there could also be errors about memory or software.
- Have you followed the security steps at viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4746 and shut down services that you do not use?
- Do you have the firewall enabled? Performance could be improved by disabling it.
- There's the possibility that this could be related to your configuration and the latest Rust update, since the game is always changing and has certainly had random performance issues at times. Did this just start with the latest update?

If this is a managed server, we'll certainly want to take a look at its configuration directly, as well.
Eterniity42
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Eterniity42 »

This is a managed server. We also just upgraded to the largest server you have to combat the FPS spikes we keep seeing. For the most part usages seem fine. The only deviation I have seen is on the last box before the update we did see spike of CPU usage drop to 0% and then back. It was usually always at the the same time but we were told it was a garbage collect as it was seen on other servers as well.

I do not want to post any private server info but my email on this account is tied to the server in question if you wanted to look into the server itself. I try to keep an eye on the resource usage all the time to try and see a correlation between the two so I can open a ticket with some kind of reference. Unfortunately this has no worked and there is no true pattern to the lag so I can not pinpoint it.

In regards to the time frame it started it has gotten worse over the last 2 months. Last month was by far the worst we have had it. We just had a fresh wipe with the new patch on the 2nd and so far are doing fine most of the time. Very small hiccups but nothing that is noticeable by our player base at this time.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

If it's a managed machine, we've taken care of most of the tweaking with the OS already and we'll need to concentrate on the game itself and how it behaves with you.

Rust is a dynamic game that performs differently for everyone based on what has been created, what the AI has chosen to do, and so on. It also changes from patch to patch, sometimes wildly. There aren't a whole lot of knobs to turn on the server side, but we'll want to try a couple of things with you in the support request.