Let's Encrypt SSL certificate Expired

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
painoftacos
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Let's Encrypt SSL certificate Expired

Post by painoftacos »

Hello,

Our let's encrypt certificate expired. It was provided by NFO in april and I assume it would get renewed automatically.

Talking with support we are told those certificate are not for provided subdomains. We had certs added to all our free hosted server so I really don't understand.

It was under my impression that NFO used SNI certificates so It should include any subdomains on a server without limitation.

The cert kept working even if I changed the subdomain name so they sure aint subdomain related.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Subdomains
classiccustom.site.nfoservers.com
nbkscrim1.site.nfoservers.com
schoenprod.site.nfoservers.com
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Let's Encrypt SSL certificate Expired

Post by Vanderburg »

Let's Encrypt SSL support is only available for top level domains (domain.com, for example) and not for provided subdomains (mysite.site.nfoservers.com, for example). Let's Encrypt limits the number of subdomains that can be used, and we use way too many of them among the customers to be able to provide every subdomain with SSL. With a top level domain, which can be purchased from a registrar, like GoDaddy and NameCheap, Let's Encrypt SSL support is provided for free.

We explain some of the limitations of our Let's Encrypt support, which explains that provided subdomains can't be used, here: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=14574

We also still allow for your own certificate to be applied with the Pro webhosting plan, but that is less cost effective.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We haven't ever set these up for provided subdomains -- not even during our initial testing period. We currently just can't do it, due to Let's Encrypt rate limits. This does not relate to SNI.

It may be possible in the future, after Let's Encrypt starts allowing wildcards, if Let's Encrypt allows a certificate for *.site.nfoservers.com.
oldschool
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by oldschool »

Anyone know of any low cost options they can recommend?
evil_master
A regular
A regular

Post by evil_master »

oldschool wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm Anyone know of any low cost options they can recommend?
if its imperative that you have SSL support on your site, there are plenty of registrars that have deals on subomains as low as $1/year, I have not had any issue with my domain names getting the free SSL with the nfoservers website 'lite plan'

There are free 'domains' out there, but the registrar I knew of (freenom) that features completely free domain names has changed something in their backend and for some reason you will need to get support to help you any time you want to add a freenom domain name.
ARZHost
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ARZHost »

You can get free SSL from SSLforfree website google it.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

ARZHost, SSL (TLS) is free using Let's Encrypt here, as well. Use of SSL just isn't currently supported for subdomains of nfoservers.com. It may be supported in the future.

painoftacos, it's strange that you somehow got LE to work on those subdomains initially, as our system should not have allowed this. Though we do not support this, they should have renewed automatically after being set up once. For yours to not renew, one of the requirements mentioned at viewtopic.php?f=106&t=14576 must not have been met. Most commonly, the problem is an .htaccess file redirecting requests made to the .well-known folder.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I just realized that this is a necro'd thread from 2017. painoftacos is unlikely to still need help with this..