Heavy disk access / heavy I/O

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
supman138
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Heavy disk access / heavy I/O

Post by supman138 »

Hi there, so ive been contacted saying im causing this thing and i think i fixed it but i need to apparently check im not harming the disk, so i need someone who knows what to do to help me, i dont think a minecraft server is gonna reck a disk, that saying i ran a GTA5 Server fine on there with only 2 cores and now im at 4 cores, So, i dont think its that and i dont think its me.

So if the CEO or someone who knows how to do this! Thank You. Supman138
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Heavy disk access / heavy I/O

Post by Edge100x »

Usually this happens when a customer is running out of memory or software is misconfigured (such as if it is crashing and endlessly restarting). It should be relatively easy to find what is causing it, in any case.

What OS are you running? If this is Windows, you can use the Disk page of the Resource Monitor tool to see which specific files are being read and written and pretty quickly determine what is causing it.
supman138
New to forums
New to forums

Post by supman138 »

Its windows 2012 OS, and im there, but i dont know what to look at and what could be concerning?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

At the top of that tab, you'll see a list of files that are being read/written to. The biggest number will probably be the one that you need to address.
supman138
New to forums
New to forums

Post by supman138 »

The Biggest One Is System
supman138
New to forums
New to forums

Post by supman138 »

at 14million b per sec
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The system process follows through on disk writes that are generally triggered by other processes. Do you see another process there?

If it is truly the system itself doing it on its own, then you'd want to look in the system log to see if Windows is kicking out warnings, and you'd want to make sure that you aren't running out of memory and forcing it to use swap space.