Backup script stopped being able to write to my VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Backup script stopped being able to write to my VDS

Post by doulos9 »

I can not figure out what is causing it. Starting in July something happened so that I can no longer transfer my backups to my NFO VDS. I worked fine for years. The only thing i have done since setup is system updates. Nor have I made any changes to the script.

Code: Select all

Backups directory already exists
Backing up Files and Directories for clanfga.com
Initiating FTP connection to send backup
Connected to 74.91.117.247 (74.91.117.247).
220 (vsFTPd 3.0.3)
331 Please specify the password.
230 Login successful.
250 Directory successfully changed.
200 Switching to Binary mode.
local: /home/clanfga/backups/clanfga.com-09-14-2019.tar.gz remote: clanfga.com-09-14-2019.tar.gz
227 Entering Passive Mode (74,91,117,247,201,235).
ftp: connect: Connection refused
221 Goodbye.
Here is the error I am getting:
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Backup script stopped being able to write to my VDS

Post by TimeX »

Was it after one of the system updates that it stopped working? Also, is it perhaps specific to that one backup file, or do other files also have the same problem?
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It is likely that performing the update of your system changed a setting for you in the FTP daemon, such as by disabling passive mode support. I would recommend taking a look at the change notes and also checking the configuration. Also worth making sure that AppArmor and similar mechanisms are not interfering (those messages may show up in 'dmesg' output or the overall system log).
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Edge100x wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:17 pm It is likely that performing the update of your system changed a setting for you in the FTP daemon, such as by disabling passive mode support. I would recommend taking a look at the change notes and also checking the configuration. Also worth making sure that AppArmor and similar mechanisms are not interfering (those messages may show up in 'dmesg' output or the overall system log).
Passive mode was not enabled, but even after enabling it connection is still refused. I have opened all the ports suggested elsewhere normally used when in passive mode - still no go. Very frustrating.
Last edited by doulos9 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

TimeX wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:09 pm Was it after one of the system updates that it stopped working? Also, is it perhaps specific to that one backup file, or do other files also have the same problem?
I don't know when it stopped working. I ran periodic updates remotely, but I have been out of town for most of the last couple months. I only noticed a week ago it when I went to get the latest backup and found none since July 24. I have a cron job set up on 4 different websites to backup weekly. Worked like a charm since I set up the VDS March 2018.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

doulos9 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 pm Passive mode was not enabled, but even after enabling it connection is still refused. I have opened all the ports suggested elsewhere normally used when in passive mode - still no go. Very frustrating.
I forgot to mention FileZilla connects fine via FTP and passive mode, if that matters.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Are you seeing any relevant messages in the FTP log or system log? The FTP log may show a more specific error, and the system log could show something being blocked.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Yes, I have a firewall, but stopping/disableing it makes no difference. Still get :Connection refused. Filezilla can log in with exact same creds.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

vsftp logs only show that the client is connecting, and that the login was OK.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Difficult to say from here since we don't appear to control the software on either end of what you're doing, but since it started after you updated the system, you might try rolling back some of the updates. Having a connection refused error on a passive port like this would suggest that vsftpd is not behaving correctly or a firewall rule really is involved.

One other thing to check for is whether another application is consuming all, or most, TCP ports. You could check this with netstat -an.