How to change the map/resources location?

HappyMaskGuy
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How to change the map/resources location?

Post by HappyMaskGuy »

I use to play another server and it downloaded all of the custom maps/models/sounds etc into a separate folder that was in the Half-Life directory.

How do I make my server do the same? I don't wish for my players to have to re-download everything into the default maps/models/sounds etc folder when they already have it all.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: How to change the map/resources location?

Post by TimeX »

If the same models and such were intended to be used in the same location, the game should just figure out to use the files just as it did for players on the previous server. It should only be downloading them again if they are somehow different.

Are you seeing a problem with files re-downloading, or were you just attempting to prevent a problem before it happens?
TimeX
evil_master
A regular
A regular

Re: How to change the map/resources location?

Post by evil_master »

Hmm.. I think you may be talking about a change in the goldsrc engine that occured some years ago..

It used to be that files would go to $modname/models/file.mdl but now they go to $modname_downloads/models/file.mdl

If this is the issue you are talking about, it can be ignored.. this is a change in the way the game tries to keep custom content seperated from the game files, it is a security feature on their end and you can enable an option on the clientside to use your own custom files, alternatively if you are a server administrator looking into this, you need not worry as the goldsrc engine will handle things on its own, it will not download files if they exist (whether it be in the main games folder or in the games addon/download folder)

However, if you are talking about them having custom files under $modname/models/MYSERVER/file.mdl, you simply just need to use the EXACT same file structure as them with the exact same files.