PHP ver

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
mainedan
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

PHP ver

Post by mainedan »

Will you be updating to the newer PHP, if do you have a time frame?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: PHP ver

Post by Edge100x »

We do not have an exact timeframe, but it will be before the current version reaches EOL.

We generally try to stick with each major version for close to the extent of its support, so that customers don't have to frequently reconfigure their application software.
thecomputerdude
New to forums
New to forums

Post by thecomputerdude »

Edge100x wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 pm We do not have an exact timeframe, but it will be before the current version reaches EOL.

We generally try to stick with each major version for close to the extent of its support, so that customers don't have to frequently reconfigure their application software.
So before I make a(nother) support ticket about this, how does the above statement pertain to running 7.1.30 (on #69280) about 11 months beyond the official EOL? Is the plan to hold off until 8.0 comes out of beta in December?

https://www.php.net/eol.php
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Is this a package ID? PIDs are 6 digits, so it looks like you may have forgotten a digit. As far as I know, all webhosting is on 7.2 (7.2.24 on the webserver I checked), though, I suppose there's a legacy server running an older version somewhere out there.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

I'm sorry, it looks like you have a very old package! The PID is actually correct, I was just searching incorrectly.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

I also would like an updated version of PHP if that is possible. I have to use an outdated software version because the latest version has dropped support for PHP 7.2. While PHP 7.2 is still in support, I would hope for the latest version.

I had asked about this in #nfo-support and was told that it was being kept there to avoid people having to update. However, I personally think that preventing people from updating is suboptimal.

Some web hosts offer the ability to choose the PHP version. I'm not 100% sure about the technical details behind this, but I'd guess they simply run multiple versions of PHP on the web server and Apache reroutes as needed
thecomputerdude
New to forums
New to forums

Post by thecomputerdude »

Vanderburg wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:48 am I'm sorry, it looks like you have a very old package! The PID is actually correct, I was just searching incorrectly.
Yes, it's a very old package haha. Used to be on hosted #1 way back before that one got retired.

The issue I'm having is that theme features in Wordpress are not enabling because the Wordpress instance believes the server is still using php 7.1.30, and the theme requires 7.2.30 at minimum I think.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

thecomputerdude's situation is unique because of the very old setup on a machine that we stopped putting new customers on around 8 years ago. It is the only machine that is on a special update schedule. Making that adjustment is complicated, but it is something that I am working on. (thecomputerdude, please also reach out to me directly through the support system and correspond with me further there.)

Naleksuh, on all other shared-webhosting machines, we update to new minor versions of software packages when any software package has an important security update release. We generally update to new major versions of specific software packages when the existing version stops receiving updates or we are receiving feedback that it is no longer compatible with major applications.

Updating to new major versions of software like PHP and MySQL is often disruptive to customers, because customers usually have to update their applications at the same time to prevent problems with incompatibility. Some older software inevitably can't be updated. At the same time, it is uncommon for new versions of applications to be incompatible with older, but still-maintained, PHP or MySQL versions.

We've been running shared webhosting plans for a long time and gone through every major PHP and MySQL version in sequence, so we're painfully aware of the challenges that upgrades bring, and how important it is to wait for software (both on the platform and application side) to mature before upgrading our systems.
Some web hosts offer the ability to choose the PHP version. I'm not 100% sure about the technical details behind this, but I'd guess they simply run multiple versions of PHP on the web server and Apache reroutes as needed
We already have multiple versions of PHP installed on all webhosting machines, including PHP 7.3. We can only choose one version to be used by Apache in the standard way (with mod_php). You could, however, personally experiment with using 7.3 through the CGI mechanism. This is not something that we officially support.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

I see, thanks.
"we are receiving feedback that it is no longer compatible with major applications. "
It is true that I am not able to run the most current version of some of my softwares on PHP 7.2 (currently using an oudated version) and would like if that was updated, although I would guess what I am doing is not "major".

"We can only choose one version to be used by Apache in the standard way (with mod_php). You could, however, personally experiment with using 7.3 through the CGI mechanism."

From my own research, it seems it is only possible to change through access to httpd.conf. What changes to cgi could be made that do not need accompanying changes from config for this?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Naleksuh wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm From my own research, it seems it is only possible to change through access to httpd.conf. What changes to cgi could be made that do not need accompanying changes from config for this?
You could use the .htaccess file to change the handler for files with the .php extension. Or, you could change all of the file extensions. In either case, you may need to adjust the php scripts to add a shebang line at the top and so that they have the correct permissions. It is not something that I have experimented with or would really recommend.