Streaming twitch from virtual pc

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
greenfield22
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Streaming twitch from virtual pc

Post by greenfield22 »

Hello, I'm currently trying to stream a game from this virtual pc, and my main desktop pc. I just want the virtual pc to handle the twitch stream, with that being said, does anyone have any information on how exactly to stream it from the virtual pc? I'm trying to use remote access and i downloaded OBS on the Virtual pc but cant seem to figure out how to have it stream my gaming pc. I got the cheapest version, so id also like to know if these specs of the virtual are good enough to even stream as well, thank you for any help.

Base bandwidth: 12000 GB
Overage cost for bandwidth: $0.02 / GB
Virtual CPU cores: 2
Memory size: 2048 MB
Standard hard drive size: 200 GB
Extra SSD hard drive size: 0 GB
IPv4 addresses: 1
BF3/MoHW slots: 0
BF4/BFH slots: 0
OSes allowed: Any
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Streaming twitch from virtual pc

Post by Spray »

From my understanding, using a VPS for streaming would only be useful for scenarios such as:

- Streaming pre-recorded videos
- Copying one stream and sending it to multiple locations, to allow only a single stream worth of bandwidth to be used from your home PC
- Higher quality encoding of a stream, provided you have enough upload bandwidth to stream to the VPS a less CPU intensive, higher bitrate encoding.

It sounds as if you want to offload encoding and/or upload bandwidth to the VPS, but you still need to capture the game data locally and then stream that data to the VPS. You can save CPU usage by using a lower quality preset, such as x264 very fast, and a high bitrate, or by using a hardware encoder such as Intel's Quick Sync or Nvidia NVENC with a high bitrate, but this will rely on your home internet having a lot of available bandwidth, usually 50Mbps or more. You could then re-encode that high bitrate stream into a lower bitrate stream at a higher quality preset, then send that to the streaming service.

If you don't have a lot of upload bandwidth, you'd need to encode the stream at a higher quality preset locally, at a lower bitrate, but this would negate using the VPS at all for any offloading, other than if you simply want the stream copied to other locations or perhaps want to archive the stream on the VPS.