Optimal Hardware for Valheim Server?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Triage
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Optimal Hardware for Valheim Server?

Post by Triage »

Trying to see if anyone has ran a server for this game and if so what would you suggest for running 5-6 players? It's a huge game and is exploding in populatiry right now. I was thinking about getting a VPS to run it as I don't need a full dedicated machine. Thanks.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Optimal Hardware for Valheim Server?

Post by Vanderburg »

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (I hear it's good, though!), but I've heard reports that it's resource hungry, both CPU and memory. That's not unexpected for early access, and it should see optimization as time goes.
Decicus
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Decicus »

I'm not sure if it's gonna be much help, but maybe just give some pointers? I've been running a Valheim server for a few days for me and a few of my friends. It's mostly me + 2 others that are on. We're currently just grouped up in the same area, so that might lower the resource usage a little bit (not sure how the world loading really works).

For reference this is running with a non-NFO provider, on a VDS.
Specifically two dedicated threads from an Intel E5-1660v3, 16 GB of RAM & an NVMe disk in RAID-1. OS is Debian 10.
I'm running it via Pterodactyl, so there's probably some extra overhead to consider as it's running in a Docker container + the "control node" on the server itself.

My reports are mainly from the resource monitor of the Valheim server via Pterodactyl, so I'm not entirely sure how it's calculated. It's also a bit from memory as I played last night. Only thing I can see in realtime at the moment is an idle server.

RAM usage doesn't really change at all regardless of players. It was using around 1.8 GB of RAM consistently - whether it was an idle server, just me playing or 3 of us playing. I never saw it change drastically, but it would sometimes jump up to using 2 GB (during world saves I assume).

CPU usage seems to be between 10-15% on idle. It jumps up from time to time to around 80% when the server does an automatic world save, but quickly goes back down.
As for changing with player count, I'm not sure. I don't think it increased massively, so I'd assume it might've doubled to 30% with 3 players online. Somehow I doubt that it increased even that much though.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

I've been running it on my personal 4 core Linux VDS and it seems to hover around 2GB RAM and 30% CPU usage with 3 people on. It went to 40-45% with 4 people on.

Usage spikes during player connects and respawns and world saves. I haven't noticed any significant performance problems thus far.