Email server's health

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
iraqiboy90
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Email server's health

Post by iraqiboy90 »

Hello

I have an email server setup on the same server hosting some websites.
I'm trying to get the email server to have the best reputation so it won't get potentially blacklisted.

I have setup a valid SPF, DKIM, and DMARC record and they work fine so far, but what's missing is the rDNS.

The email server is configured to have a hostname mail.DOMAIN.com which is sent via the HELO command, but the IP that is resolved from this hostname gets resolved back to the hostname that was automatically assigned to the IP which is v-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.unman-vds.inap-frankfurt.nfoservers.com

Due to this hostname being very randomly created, some anti spam services like Spamassasin gives a warning that this looks like a dynamic IP (which is not), but spamassasin doesn't know that. This makes it give a reduced score for the health of the email server.

If I ask for to change this long and randomish hostname to something more "static" like host.DOMAIN.com. Will that be fine? Asking for feedback.

Notice: I cant have DOMAIN.com as a hostname because I'm running my DNS through Cloudflare and there is a website already assigned with this as a domain name. So when this hostname gets resolved to an IP, it will be a Cloudflare IP.
Also, having the rDNS being set as mail.DOMAIN.com will make it look like the entire server is only a mail server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Email server's health

Post by Edge100x »

I'd recommend just setting it to mail.DOMAIN.com in that case, yes.

The PTR entry doesn't usually matter, and it won't matter if your domain is served from it. But it /does/ matter for mail servers.
iraqiboy90
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iraqiboy90 »

All right :)
Can I get access to edit it?
iraqiboy90
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iraqiboy90 »

iraqiboy90 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 am All right :)
Can I get access to edit it?
I guess I need to open a ticket for this. So I'm going to open one :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Access has been enabled by default for newly-created VDSes for quite awhile. If you don't have it because you have an older VDS, we can enable it, yes.