Server ping issues

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server ping issues

Post by Xavier92 »

Hello, im not going to lie im a complete noob when it comes to unmanaged servers. I have an LA server that I run game servers off of for Star Wars Jedi Academy. I have had several members tell me their ping is high and they can not play on the server. I myself notice an increase of 30 points, and some members as much as 80 points.

Is there something I can look into to fix this issue? id rather have the DDoS protection and the ability to add an anti vpn to the game servers as weve been having issues with trolls, and toxic players causing issues and attacking our previous servers.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Server ping issues

Post by Edge100x »

When you say that there's an increase, do you mean that you previously had a lower one?

If so, then please send us a copy of your MTR/traceroute to the server, along with your IP address, and we can take a look to see if we can help to improve your routing from the server.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

Our previous servers were hosted from bluefangsolutions, we decided to do something about the ddos attacks and the people using vpns to get around bans, thats why we came to nfo. Both servers (the BFS and the NFO) are hosted from LA but the NFO server seems to have higher ping for all players. I have told them it probably due to the level of protection we get with NFO, but it seems our aussie players have +80 - 100 ping. im running the tracert now.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Latencies here should generally be lower than other hosts, from a network perspective, so this might be more of a software configuration concern. Are you certain that you're using the exact same settings for both servers, including the FPS?
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

I cant see the firewall settings and all that from BFS, all i can see with them is the general game files and such. I havent messed with the firewall or other settings with my NFO account. Im leaning towards it being my inexperience than anything.

as far as ingame setting and configs, i copy and pasted them so shouldnt be on the game/config side.