paste in vnc console?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mainedan
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

paste in vnc console?

Post by mainedan »

Stupid question, I looked to see if it was asked before, but couldnt find it.

Got locked out of my vds because I disabled password authentication in ssh, logged in with the vnc console and couldnt figure out how to paste in my .pub key that I had to regenerate. I see the clipboard and inserted the key in there, but I didnt see where to inset it in the file on the server.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Re: paste in vnc console?

Post by hiimcody1 »

The clipboard function doesn't presently work unfortunately.

It requires some behind-the-scenes tweaking to make it work properly and it can be unreliable even in the best circumstances.

If you have a long string of text you need to insert into VNC, the best way I could think to do so is using a macro of some kind to type out the keyboard one character at a time.

There are a few ways to do that depending on what you PC's OS is. On Windows I use an AutoHotKey line another staff member created. You may need to adjust the SetKeyDelay if you have higher latency on VNC:

Code: Select all

^+v::
SetKeyDelay, 100
SendRaw %clipboard%
Return
mainedan
A regular
A regular

Re: paste in vnc console?

Post by mainedan »

Ya, I gave up and just reinstalled, just seams like that way is more taking on the hardware, was trying to avoid it. I just have to remember to keep my keys on an usb drive or something. The server is just for doing classes, so not a big deal for me anyway.

Thanks