www.nfoservers.com privacy error (Certificate issue)

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Technut
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

www.nfoservers.com privacy error (Certificate issue)

Post by Technut »

Today when going to www.nfoservers.com I get a Privacy error from Google Chrome browser.
2022-05-02_13-40-02.png
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Re: www.nfoservers.com privacy error (Certificate issue)

Post by Technut »

I have confirmed this is not limited to me / my PC. Another NFO customer on a different network also reports the same problem.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This looks like it's a glitch between GoDaddy and the most recent Chrome update. If your Chrome just updated an hour or two ago, that is probably what triggered it. Using another browser temporarily is a workaround.

If it continues, I'll switch the main site over to LE. We just use GoDaddy for legacy reasons.
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Technut »

This started more recently than my last Chrome update. I suppose it could still be related (something in cache timed out?). It does seem to be specific to Chrome, I don't have the same problem with Edge.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Hmm, works fine for me on Firefox, tried to use Chrome on a VM but couldn't even download it, 502 error on Google's end :| Google problem?

"If it continues, I'll switch the main site over to LE. We just use GoDaddy for legacy reasons."

What is the legacy? I would hope that there is not a requirement for Lets Encrypt as they are starting to lose value + lots of other certificates are better
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Technut »

Here's a few more details from the "Advanced" button on that Chrome error page:
www.nfoservers.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to www.nfoservers.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.nfoservers.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit www.nfoservers.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.
By the way, I'm not seeing any problem while using forums.nfoservers.com (in case that helps with troubleshooting).
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

The forums use a different certificate signed by a different group, so that does make sense.
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Technut »

A bit of web browsing about the error yields this info:
The most common issue in receiving the error ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED in Chrome browser is a problem with CT logs, as SSL is corrupted, misconfigured or expired. A Certificate Transparency (CT) requires each certificate to be properly logged.

A bit of theory, CT is an Internet Security standard and now a requirement for all trusted Certificate Authorities (CA). The CA must add any issued/reissued SSL certificate to CT logs, best practises suggests adding it to multiple logs. The logs operate as an industry safeguards again misissuance. It is a mandatory industry requirement.

Solution for Website owners
Urgently contact your CA or a company who sold your SSL certificate and request them to add your website (domain name) to the CT logs. Change the CA if they fail to resolve the issue quickly.
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Technut »

Here's a helpful thread discussing the new issue that started today:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31239883
Technut
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Technut »

It appears to be fixed. :D

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have linked to the ycombinator resource and twitter posts to clarify what I had read earlier that confirmed it was a GoDaddy/Chrome issue.

I did not experience this in personal tests because I use Firefox as my daily driver and a slightly older Chrome version for testing. But staff here did confirm the issue occurred for them.