Dedi machine randomly crashing?/freezing? (Pterodactyl Panel)

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
aceblaster
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedi machine randomly crashing?/freezing? (Pterodactyl Panel)

Post by aceblaster »

Hello,

I have recently installed pterodactyl. SSH and the server were working fine through the preliminary steps, but around the time I started installing wings, https://pterodactyl.io/wings/1.0/installing.html, specifically just before you configure a node, my server started incurring a problem where the pterodactyl webpanel I installed goes unresponsive and ssh freezes up and putty gives me a disconnect network error.

I have to select physically restart the machine to get it working again, and can proceed as normal but it usually crashes again in 10 minutes or so. I have since fully installed Pterodactyl and Wings and put up a Garry's Mod test server. The issues persist.

I searched the pterodactyl error logs as well as /var/log/syslog but as of yesterday haven't found anything that stands out to me or looks relevant.

Also dedicated servers don't have a software console

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Dedi machine randomly crashing?/freezing? (Pterodactyl Panel)

Post by Edge100x »

The most common cause of a machine crashing is an OOM condition.

Another possibility would be that the control panel you are using is changing something about the network that is preventing it from working.

Does the log just cut off, or does it show further lines after that (before your reboot)?

Is the server still pingable when this happens?

We can look at the console output for you if you would like us to check for a panic message or similar there.
aceblaster
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Dedi machine randomly crashing?/freezing? (Pterodactyl Panel)

Post by aceblaster »

Someone on support said my machine might be going into 'sleep' mode because of the GUI installed on it.
He suggested I run the following command:

Code: Select all

systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
Honestly, I think this fixed it. I've had a gmod server running now for 2+ hours without issue. Thank you.