New Ubuntu Dedi Renter - General Questions

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
aceblaster
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

New Ubuntu Dedi Renter - General Questions

Post by aceblaster »

1.)
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4078
Can Ubuntu support that "realtime" thing described here? It says it works on Gentoo but I'm using Ubuntu.

2.)
viewtopic.php?t=3706
This part talks about when we need to update our own gameservers, OS software, etc..
- Any quick way to know when to do this? For example, a notification without me having to constantly check?
- How do we do it? (I know that some panels like TCAdmin have Steam Update option)

3.)
How do I know when putty needs to be updated?

4.)
"Multiple IPs", if I'm running multiple Garry's mod servers will that require multiple IPs? And what happens if
I try to run several servers without buying more IPs?

5.)
viewtopic.php?t=5059
Webhosting breaches are described here.
Any security tips to prevent webhosting from compromising me?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: New Ubuntu Dedi Renter - General Questions

Post by TimeX »

I'm not sure on the correct answer on some of these questions, but I can say that some of the information in those older threads is outdated now. One of the more significant changes that may change your plans, since you mentioned Garrysmod, is the engine update in 2011 that removed high FPS options from the Orangebox engine, as talked about here: viewtopic.php?t=5831

Multiple IPs are not needed, but if they servers are using the same IP, they will need to run on different ports. eg: 27015, 27025, 27035, and so on.

Security wise, we talk about some general security advice here: viewtopic.php?t=4746

For webhosting software specifically, much of that is going to come down to known vulnerabilities, so you will want to research any software you plan on running.
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

For autoupdate you can have the server update every time it restarts in your restart script, but that would mean any updates would take up to 24 hours to apply. You can also have the server restart upon an update being released, but how to do this depends on the game.

There's generally not a specific time that PuTTY *needs* to be updated, old versions will continue to work fine. I'm using a version that's a year old on my laptop and 2 years old on my desktop. However, you can update the software any time you want, especially if there is a bug or problem.

You don't strictly *need* multiple IPs for multiple Garry's Mod servers, but you do need a specific IP and port combination. If you run a server without specifying an IP address to use, it will use the default IP. If there's already a server running on that IP and the default port (27015) it just chooses the next one (27016) and keeps going up. But if you do specify an IP, it will start at the bottom on that port. You could have two servers running on the same port on different IPs, or running on the same IPs on different ports. There's generally not a reason to strictly need multiple IPs unless you want to either future-proof servers, put them in no particular order, or use custom domain names (i.e. 74.91.117.174:27015 -> pvp1.zs.naleksuh.com but 74.91.117.174:27016 -> pvp1.zs.naleksuh.com:27016)
Veritas
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Veritas »

1) yes- "chrt" doeswork but it wants root access (on my Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS)? so we have todo some changeing (pivoting?) of users. I dont like my steam user to have sudo access so this makes it more complex, i use my sudoer user to launch the command scripts to start the server deamon:

Code: Select all

sudo chrt 20 su - steam ./start_game_deamon
Is there a better way? in htop the PRI changes to -21

P.S. Im also useing tuned "dynamic adaptive system tuning daemon" and tuned-adm. Seemed to help quiet idle (empty) server deamons.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That should work fine. You can also run chrt on a running process, so you could have a cronjob running as root that changes the behavior of every process run by that user, or every process with a given name. A command like:

Code: Select all

pgrep -f srcds_linux | xargs -L 1 chrt --pid 20