Different games, running on the same VM

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Different games, running on the same VM

Post by Xavier92 »

I currently have a server set up to run Jedi Academy on an Unmanaged VM. I was hoping to add a minecraft server to the the VM. I had seen somewhere about installing something that would help manage the 2 games on the one VM but I cant find it again. I know I may need to add an IP so the ips are different from the 2 servers.
Any assistance, dos and donts, etc would be helpful. This is uncharted territory for me as this is being done as a hobby and coding, networking, etc is not my profession so Im asking yall to be patient with me.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Different games, running on the same VM

Post by Naleksuh »

I think you might be thinking of managed VDS? This is something you can enable on the order page, the radio labelled "Managed game-server-only VDS" -- though note that this can only be done if the server has at least 10 cores making it cost $60 or more. Though, it will provide free IPs for each game server so it can be cheaper sometimes. But if you have a few gameservers and don't want to use an unmanaged VDS, a managed VDS can make it be more like they are standalone gameservers.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

Im not sure unmanaged will work, I have a server set up for a game that isnt supported by NFO, Not to mention redbot for a discord server is also using the VM.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Those are things you could do on an unmanaged server, but not a managed one. Did you mean managed?
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

I dont think so, I had run across it somewhere, Installing something via putty that would help keep the servers separated and not cause confusion or clutter. Not necessarily a huge issue given the way I have them installed.

As an update: The Jedi Academy server is still up and operating wonderfully, I have installed Minecraft on the VM and set a service for it thanks to guides I have found online. After working through crash reports, the service shows the Minecraft server running, but I cant connect to it, nor can it be located via the minecraft client.

This makes me think its something related to the IP or something internal. I added a second IP for the minecraft server and this is showing in one of the logs - [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on x.x.x.x:port

Its the IP I added to the vm for the minecraft server, So the server is up but possibly not able to be connected to for some reason. At this point im sort of at a loss on how/where to proceed.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

You can often run multipole game servers on the same IP as long as the ports are not conflicting.

From the sounds of it, The Minecraft server is having its own, separate problem. If you think it may be conflicting with the other game server, a quick way to test is to shut the other server down temporarily and see if that lets the Minecraft server start up normally.

The Minecraft logs are typically your best option for clues to any problems, at least with the Java version. I haven't personally tried running servers for the Bedrock version, so I don't know how much of my knowledge applies to them.
TimeX
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

The minecraft server is using the IP I added to the VM as I have it set to in the config, the ports for the 2 servers are different the Jedi Academy server port is 29070 and the minecraft is 25565. The crash report folder on the minecraft server is empty, and the logs for the minecraft server don't show any issues. That's why I'm thinking it's an issue with the network settings. The service that's set up for the server shows its online but when I add the ip in-game it doesn't show as online and I can not connect to it.
There are no issues with the Jedi Academy server at all.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Which OS are you running? Are you able to test connecting to the Minecraft server locally? Also, this may sound obvious, but have you checked to make sure no firewalls are blocking it somehow?
TimeX
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

Ubuntu 20.04
I haven't tried to connect locally as I want to make sure others can connect to it without issues. I have checked the firewall and made sure that the minecraft client was allowed through the firewall.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

Also it doesn't show up on the local servers list
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Xavier92 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:57 am Also it doesn't show up on the local servers list
That list only shows servers on the same network as you. It wouldn't show a Minecraft server on a VDS because it's on a completely different network.
made sure that the minecraft client was allowed through the firewall.
I think TimeX meant checking if the *server* passes the Firewall and can serve clients. You'd want to check both the firewall in the OS and the NFO-provided firewall, which you can inspect in the control panel in the Firewall tab.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

On the server side, rather than going through and making sure proper filters are set, where it can be easy to overlook something, I recommend testing with all server side firewalls disabled temporarily.

If you do that, and the Minecraft server is binding to the correct IP and port in the logs, and the IP is pingable, then your network setup is likely fine.
TimeX
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

I'll submit a help request, I'm not familiar with messing with server-side firewalls
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

Turns out the OS firewall has the minecraft port closed. Hence no connection. Gonna get it open and test it. Thanks guys.