PHP 7.4 EOL

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

PHP 7.4 EOL

Post by Naleksuh »

When is NFO moving off PHP 7.4? EOL is November 28th... but the world isn't ready for PHP 8 yet. Half the PHP apps in existence don't work with it. Would like to know when I should make sure I am ready for PHP 8 by.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: PHP 7.4 EOL

Post by TimeX »

We usually make the change on or before EOL. The last I heard this was still the plan for 7.4 -> 8.x
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

That doesn't really answer the question. Is there a specific time to move to PHP 8 or not?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Naleksuh wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:33 am That doesn't really answer the question. Is there a specific time to move to PHP 8 or not?
As in, a specific date and time? We don't have anything that specific yet, but when we do, we will post about it in the events log to let everyone know.
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

That's what usually happens. I guess I was hoping for more advance notice as most events are posted <48 hours before the change happens which in this case would not be enough time to make sure everything is working. Can you try to give longer notice? (especially since the change is only in a month anyway)
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

We try to give as much notice as possible in all situations. I wouldn't say that notices are usually less than 48 hours though. Something more minor like an overnight restart on a different service type, maybe, but certainly not major backend system changes on the webhosting like this.

If you will need to put a lot of work into things for the upcoming changes, then you could just consider this your notice and start planning out your adjustments. The PHP change is coming for sure, but you don't need to wait to plan for it.
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

As a follow-up to this, the transition to PHP 8.1 was completed over the last month for all customers.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Yes, I was able to stage update via a VDS, but sadly I didn't see the announcement until just a few hours before it was to happen, and there was a machine outage the same day. On the bright side, I happened to be in Seattle then, so the 1ms ping was nice.