ArmA Reforger, Game server support or VDS recommended specs?

Jaiden
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ArmA Reforger, Game server support or VDS recommended specs?

Post by Jaiden »

Hello all

As Reforger becomes more and more developed I am looking into hosting a server for myself and some friends. As of now NFO doesn't support Reforger as a game server, I can host it on a VDS but I am unsure of the specs to order if I did choose to order a VDS, and there appears to be no documentation from BI on what the recommended specs are to host a dedicated server.

Regards.
0nopeO
Staff
Staff

Re: ArmA Reforger, Game server support or VDS recommended specs?

Post by 0nopeO »

I tested on Ubuntu Linux and Windows; while running on Linux, the server executable used about 2.9gb of RAM on start up, while on Windows, it used about 3gb of RAM (so pretty much the same). Both were set to run at 60fps, and had nearly identical max and min frame times as reported in the console with the parameter "-logStats". Driving around for 10 minutes and shooting some AI with just 1 player increased the RAM usage by 50mb-100mb, with a max usage noted at 3.3gb after 1 hour of runtime.

A 4-core VDS would be the minimum required to run the server. I haven't ran a server yet with more than a couple players connected, so I wouldn't have any insight on performance metrics for servers running player counts past that unfortunately. With that said, you can always upgrade your VDS later to add more RAM or vCores if you find that you need more.

Something to keep in mind is that Windows OSes generally use a bit more RAM than most Linux distros, especially when compared to a Linux server running with no GUI. So if you prefer Windows, then you may want to add an extra gigabyte or two, or start with a 6-core VDS.