Blocking with firewall

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Blocking with firewall

Post by Xavier92 »

First things first, I' not in a field where I deal with VPNs, Firewalls, or anything server/coding related on a normal basis. That being said you may need to explain things to me as if I'm a child/walk me through things for me to understand.

The issue I'm having is rather annoying, I have people joining a game server that is unmanaged. In-game bans have failed, we installed an anti-vpn and it is working to an extent. IPhub is starting to collect Residential VPNs to add to their database to prevent connections. However I have a few players that have dynamic IPs, normally not an issue as I just apply an in-game range ban. It seems as if these dynamic IPs are coming from a provider that provides business class internet, so the rage bans only seem to work for maybe a week at most before they are able to rejoin and continue their unruly antics. Its causing people to leave the game, and this player is not wanted on our server.

Having a minimal understanding of networking, IPS, and applying bans, I'm worried about applying too much of a block/ban and someone getting caught in the ban that is innocent.

Is there a way to possibly get a list of IPs for a provider? Can I apply a firewall block to prevent the player from connecting in the future be it a list of IPs or even a DNS?

Any ideas, suggestions, or help in general would be greats appreciated.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Blocking with firewall

Post by TimeX »

Generally speaking, the more you try to block potential future IPs for the person, the more you risk banning an innocent user. An ID ban may be possible, though. Which game is this for?
TimeX
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

The game is Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, Im talking with a few coders/modders on discord from the game seeing if theres a way to modify the games engine to alter a ban ingame. but so far its just exploring the option.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

It doesn't look like that game supports ID bans, just IP bans. You may just need to keep blocking IPs until they either run out of IP addresses available to them, or get bored and move on. Hopefully you are able to find a better option.
TimeX
Xavier92
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Xavier92 »

TimeX wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 am It doesn't look like that game supports ID bans, just IP bans. You may just need to keep blocking IPs until they either run out of IP addresses available to them, or get bored and move on. Hopefully you are able to find a better option.
Thats why I was hoping to find an alternate solution. Banning all those IPs could fill the games ban list and make us unable to ban other troublesome players