How Do I Make My Server Download Models?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How Do I Make My Server Download Models?

Post by Evil Metro »

I'm using a couple of custom models and someone on here told me I can make the server download files without FastDL, could someone please help and explain to me how to do it?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: How Do I Make My Server Download Models?

Post by soja »

It is possible, but when you download the files direct from the server they download extremely slow(<40KB/s). People tend to leave the server before the files finish downloading.

If you have an unmanaged vds/dedi you can set up a web server for fastdl on there, or the better option, get the $3/mo web hosting from NFO.
Not a NFO employee
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular

Post by Evil Metro »

Alright, I have bought myself a website on NFO servers. Could someone tell me how to set it up and use it? I also need to add Steam Workshop files to it, is that possible? If not, what do I do?
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular

Post by Evil Metro »

For example, I want to use a custom model for a playermodel on my DarkRP server. I did the thing to add Steam Workshop content to your server via my Steam Workshop Collection. Ok, good. But when other people who join the server try to see the model, it's just an error for them. Is there something I need to add to my FastDL to make it work? Do I have to add the Steam Workshop file that's generated in addons to my FastDL?
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Siren »

Are you running an unmanaged VDS? If so you will need to manually recreate your servers folder/file structure and add your servers files to your webhosting to get the fast downloads set up along with adding the download link to your servers config file. If you are running a managed server or one of our shared servers you can just go to the websync tab in your control panel and everything will set up automatically for you with the fast downloads.

As for the error model, is the model downloading for the other people at all?
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

If you have a managed VDS, you go can go to the Websync tab of your control panel, use the Sync button and it will copy the majority of your files over, and it will set your server.cfg file for fastDL. If you are unmanaged, you will need to copy the files to your webhosting manually.

Also, if you are unmanaged, in your server.cfg file you will need to set:

sv_allowdownload 1
sv_downloadurl http://[identifier].site.nfoservers.com/[folder]

where identifier is the webhosting identifier and folder is the path to the fastDL files you've placed on the webhosting. Some files will have to be force downloaded, along with Workshop addons. We explain how you can do this, specifically, here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =65&t=7337
Evil Metro
A regular
A regular

Post by Evil Metro »

I got it to work, I had to extract the Steam Workshop files using a file extractor for it.