Massive CPU Usage

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Massive CPU Usage

Post by evilbeast98 »

Recently, at about 15+ people my CPU usage will sky rocket up to 45% which seems to be the max limit of my server. Is there any way you guys can help me troubleshoot the addon that is causing this? I've tried for a week to no avail.

Addons:
Advanced Duplicator,
Fading Doors,
Precision Tool,
Door Stool,
Keypad Tool and Cracker,
Smart Snap,
Hit Numbers,
Perma Props,
Kill Noticer,
Rape Swep,
Rocket Custom F4,
3d_car_dealer,
apac (anti-prop kill),
ULX,
Utime,
Mayor Demote on Death,
Stacker Tool,
Passenger Mod,
Durgz Mod,
Grappling Hook,
DMC4 Ebony and Ivory,
Crysis 3 C.E.L.L,
Slow SNP Pack 4,
Nadmod Prop Protection.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Massive CPU Usage

Post by kraze »

What kind of VDS do you have? Is the high usage a new thing or has it persisted since you had the server?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

"Note: This is on managed VDS/machine nyc-virtual-rgbox."

It's not new, I was having this problem before, on my last Host and I eventually came to believe that is was them and not my addons but then I switched over to NFO and the problem has persisted. I've cut down on my Addons by a huge amount as well.
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Siren »

You might try disabling all your addons for a short time to see if the CPU drops, then you will know for sure if it is your addons.
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

I have. I've wiped my server about 4 times and it'll run fine until I start adding the addons. Since I removed the addons, it's been less laggy at a higher number of people but the pings are still at 150+. I'd rather not run a Vanilla RP server...
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

evilbeast98 wrote: Since I removed the addons, it's been less laggy at a higher number of people but the pings are still at 150+.
I meant to say that I've removed a majority of the Addons but it still continues to lag at 15+ people.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

What is your tickrate?

Keep in mind all it takes is a few colliding props to spike cpu usage on a source based game server, make sure you have restricted any ability to prop spam and keep an eye out for people doing so. One player spawning guns underneath themselves can lag a whole server :/
Not a NFO employee
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

The tickrate is the default NFO Tickrate so i'm guessing 33? And there can be 0 props on the server and as long as there is 15 or so people on the server the CPU usage will max out and the ping will skyrocket.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

evilbeast98 wrote:The tickrate is the default NFO Tickrate so i'm guessing 33? And there can be 0 props on the server and as long as there is 15 or so people on the server the CPU usage will max out and the ping will skyrocket.
Garrysmod defaults to 66 tick and we leave it at that. Lowering to 33 would likely solve your issues right there but that's really just a bandaid.

It seems fairly clear that your addons are to blame here, the easiest way to determine which one is to add a single addon at a time and watch CPU usage. You'll want to look for what addon causes the high consistent jump in CPU usage.

Making sure your addons are all updated and working with the latest game version is also advisable.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Seems like a ton of addons. I only remember running a few that helped with the overall experience.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Most rp servers run at <33 tick. If you have a smaller server(<40 total slots) you can probably use 33 tick just fine. Even at 66 tick, if there are no props and you are seeing that kind of CPU usage, something is wrong.

Are your logs being spammed with anything that might point you in the direction of the issue?
Not a NFO employee
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

No spam in the logs. Nothing at all to point to anything causing problems... the more addons I remove the less the CPU usage is but I can't find the main problem and I hate seeing all my Players get so angry ):
evilbeast98
New to forums
New to forums

Post by evilbeast98 »

Could a large amount of jobs be the problem? We have like 40+.