ASCII vs BINARY file formatting issue

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ASCII vs BINARY file formatting issue

Post by MasterSeal »

Hello. I come from a long line of webhosting with many companies including my own in the past and I've run across something new at least to me with your FTP servers.
I'm only posting this here at the suggestion of one of the techs through a ticket in my control panel after several hours of tickets and amazing customer service so here it goes.

The problem is that when I upload a TEXT file from my windows desktop formatted in binary or ascii (really doesn't matter as the formatting of transparent CR's and NL's is correct when I start this process)
things are great on the windows side. As soon as it hits my website through multiple FTP programs, multiple settings of auto/ASCII/Binary etc. no matter the settings the same thing always happens.

I get a bad file format that's almost impossible to read and/or edit and the nice formatting is gone. no carriage returns, no new lines, nothing it's all garbled together.

see below:

http://outcastsnipers.com/support/image ... _wrong.png

The file on the left is of course how it should look.
The file on the right is the ultimate result from uploading to my site hosted HERE at NFO no matter what computer, what OS or what FTP program I'm using I've tried several working with the techs throughout last night etc.

once the file on the right is the end result, that's it. I can download and replace up or down either way from client to server and back again and the formatting never gets corrected NO MATTER the settings in both FTP programs that I've used which include my registered version of IPSWITCH's amazing ftp client, or even the free filezilla.

TXT, PHP, INI, CFG, GSC, DOC, RTF etc. no matter what format they ALL do it regardless.

THIS HAS NOT AS OF YET CORRUPTED ANY FILES it just un-formats them and keeps them that way so they're a pain but the spacing and data IE remain congruent.

Cpanel, Plesk and so many other "website" control panels, software suites etc. have their FTP's setup usually by default at bluehost.com, hostgator.com lunarpages.com and MANY others just to name a few I've used them ALL, now I'm here and the formatting no longer works and I've tried everything I know to try.
External conversion websites all they do is corrupt the file upon output (really utf-8 remains the format but somehow they take characters out and ruin the syntax corrupting the files)
I've even tried different TEXT file viewers, programs etc. but notepad should suffice with UTf-8 encoding and NO word wrap etc. I've used it for literally thousands of text files over the years and with the automated formatting from linux to windows and back again with FTP programs among others this shouldn't and usually isn't a problem.

So I come to you perplexed. if anyone has ideas, please let me know.
thank you!:)
...Seal...
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!
Public Teamspeak: ts.OutCastSnipers.com

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: ASCII vs BINARY file formatting issue

Post by Edge100x »

This is actually standard FTP behavior when uploading in ASCII mode. On a Linux system, it converts the Windows CR-LF line break style to the Linux LF-only line break style.

You should be able to get around this by uploading everything in binary mode; your FTP client will have a setting for this. Certain Linux applications might not like files in the Windows format, but most should tolerate either way (the same is true of Windows applications -- Notepad is pretty much the only one that doesn't work with Linux-style line breaks).
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Post by MasterSeal »

Ugh. Sorry for being obtuse, but I've already tried this using both FTP applications and the only place it won't work is on your system as I tried to outline in the previous posts. What you've given me is extraneous info BUT in the interest of not wanting to insult you I'm not sure what to tell you as I've already tried what you've described which is why I made this post in the first place, it doesn't work here.

Thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate that. I suppose I'll have to find an alternate way of fixing this problem it'll just be hard to since this is the only place I have it and I cannot replicate it anywhere else that hosts websites no matter how large or small the company, and this is in over 10 examples, short of advertising for them here just know that this is frustrating because there is obviously a specific or some specific reasons WHY this only happens here and not in many other places I've always had success using the same methods over the last 9 years of hosting seriously customized websites for my clan. I guess it's just something that escapes us as to why.

Cheers.

...Seal...
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!

Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I don't know which FTP client you're using, but as I said, this is very simple to override in every client I've used.

For instance, in FileZilla, the setting is in Edit > Settings > Transfers > File Types > Default transfer type > Binary.

I understand that you might have personally seen the line break adjustment behavior before, but it's quite common as an industry standard. You don't have to take my word for it; you can find a ton of information on line break conversion out there, if you take a look around. Possibly your other hosts have used Windows, which would not require changing your Windows line breaks.
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Post by MasterSeal »

I know that they wrote scripts and API's and other things to facilitate this problem.

He're the bottom line. You tried to fix my problem, I tried to fix my problem. Regardless of whatever happens from here, I appreciate this.
You've allowed me to say my peace, and didn't censor me or delete my posts, as well as you spoke for yourself as well.

I'm VERY passionate about spending my time as it's very precious and valuable to me, and a lot of customers are like that.
Thank you for allowing me to vent the frustrations, tactfully, and thank you for responding, and helping me solve issues here.

For that, I think maybe it's fair to say that in my experience, and trust me, it's VERY vast and I have no problem claiming so as I can back it up and then some, you guys are the best customer service
I've EVER had.

Thank you for your time, and I will FIND a way to solve this, even if you can't, or don't think you should. I understand your claim that it's a standard thing, well it's also standard that it's been fixed at most larger hosts. You're NOT a fully-functional WEBHOST only and what you DO provide is very good. In fact I did tell you ealrier how wonderful your control panel is etc. and that's still true among every other claim I made. I wasn't ANGRY when I made those posts, John. I was frustrated, but DID edit and take time to formulate my thoughts...you assumed I didn't because of how to the point and brazen my personality is, but let me tell you, that was me being professional and nice, and it works. I'm not here to insult you or anything, everything I said was based in FACT and experience with what was going on here.

To anyone that may read this it's only fair that I say this was a dispute among very intelligent people, and I can say that even though there's a difference of opinion on what's standard out there, from experience, the fact remains that both of our claims are correct, and this issue in NO WAY should reflect negatively on NFOServers.com, because you guys did everything in your power to help me, and so did I.

From this point forward, I am a satisfied customer after all this... Again:)

Thank you,
Derek.
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!

MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Re: ASCII vs BINARY file formatting issue *SOLVED*

Post by MasterSeal »

If anyone else, which I'm sure at some point there WILL be others, has the same problem I did with the text formatting NOT being fixed with FTP no matter what client or settings you use with NFO...
THIS PROGRAM is what ACTUALLY fixed my problem. Here is a link.

http://www.sg-chem.net/u2win/

I've check it for viruses using Microsoft Security Essentials, and System Mechanic (best suite 'till this day)

As long as you have the U2Win.exe file in the same directory as the files that get formatted-corrupted when using them with NFO servers' system since there's no PERL or any other scripts by default to fix this, the program will open up a command window with instructions on what to do. EASY button for anyone that has this issue. It will format the file properly for editing instead of it getting all scrunched together with no line breaks or carriage returns, and still allow you to upload it properly with no corruption when you're done.

This should be stickied.

Kind Regards,
{OCS}MasterSeal
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!

soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Have you considered using Notepad++ instead of the default windows text editor? Any issues I have had with text being jumbled like that was a simple fix-->Stop using windows text editor.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Let me know if this fixes it for you.
Not a NFO employee
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Post by MasterSeal »

People have been trying to get me to use notepad ++ for years. I'm stubborn I guess. Either one fixes this problem from what you say. Thanks for the tip. I'll just have to go quietly and switch:)

cheers:)

...Seal...
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!

MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Post by MasterSeal »

I should have posted while Notepad ++ is a great program, it is severely over-complex for just a quick edit here and there and is meant for seriously advanced users. If I want to spend extra time to setup something to read my code, I use other more industry standard platforms for web design etc. I've NEVER had to write my code in anything but standards windows notepad to edit simple php, html and other similar files you just turn off the word wrap and make sure the format is ANSI and there's no problems. Never have been. not with literally millions of lines of code over the years to handfuls of hosts with all different configurations.

The program I posted about is a better fix for me. I deal with code and setups and scripting all day, the last thing I want to do is add another complex program to the literally hundreds I own to do many things with. It's completely extraneous and unnecessary especially when I've only had this problem with one host and notepad has worked just fine for over 2 decades for what I do in literally hundreds of places. other hosts have fixed this problem by adding a simple perl script so that the formatting stays how it should be from client to server. The two largest webhosting programs in the industry Plesk, and cPanel fix this as well and THAT is industry standard and you normally don't see this issue anywhere in the formatting at other hosts.
This program runs as a simple window, type what you need converted and boom. done. No setup, no hassle and it works without corrupting the file.

This is absolutely no problem with NFO or otherwise I just needed to get used to the difference in how things are done here at NFO with a custom control panel VS industry standard software. THIS control panel is phenomenal it just lacks some of the trimmings I'm used to having and you have to get around a couple minor things. I've done that with no problems and my site runs flawlessly.

I'm enjoying my time here at NFO, and I'm seriously enjoying the great customer service, and the amazing performance etc.
Thank you to all the techs for your amazing CS on this issue, as well as John with his patience with my frustration until I found a resolution, and Thanks for your input as well SOJA.

...Seal...
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!

soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

{OCS}MasterSeal wrote:I should have posted while Notepad ++ is a great program, it is severely over-complex for just a quick edit here and there and is meant for seriously advanced users. If I want to spend extra time to setup something to read my code, I use other more industry standard platforms for web design etc. I've NEVER had to write my code in anything but standards windows notepad to edit simple php, html and other similar files you just turn off the word wrap and make sure the format is ANSI and there's no problems. Never have been. not with literally millions of lines of code over the years to handfuls of hosts with all different configurations.

The program I posted about is a better fix for me. I deal with code and setups and scripting all day, the last thing I want to do is add another complex program to the literally hundreds I own to do many things with. It's completely extraneous and unnecessary especially when I've only had this problem with one host and notepad has worked just fine for over 2 decades for what I do in literally hundreds of places. other hosts have fixed this problem by adding a simple perl script so that the formatting stays how it should be from client to server. The two largest webhosting programs in the industry Plesk, and cPanel fix this as well and THAT is industry standard and you normally don't see this issue anywhere in the formatting at other hosts.
This program runs as a simple window, type what you need converted and boom. done. No setup, no hassle and it works without corrupting the file.

This is absolutely no problem with NFO or otherwise I just needed to get used to the difference in how things are done here at NFO with a custom control panel VS industry standard software. THIS control panel is phenomenal it just lacks some of the trimmings I'm used to having and you have to get around a couple minor things. I've done that with no problems and my site runs flawlessly.

I'm enjoying my time here at NFO, and I'm seriously enjoying the great customer service, and the amazing performance etc.
Thank you to all the techs for your amazing CS on this issue, as well as John with his patience with my frustration until I found a resolution, and Thanks for your input as well SOJA.

...Seal...
If you think Notepad++ is complex, I don't have much to say. You set up file associations once and that is it, it is even easier to edit non default files(it gives an option for almost every file when you right click it to edit with Notepad++). I am not familiar with an industry standard text editor for windows, but I really don't see Windows Notepad being it at all. It feels like a windows add-on rather than a real tool people can use.

EDIT: Not to mention the code highlighting for different languages(which is 2-3 clicks away for almost any language) is amazing. I have not touched what Notepad++ can do, I use it for everyday text/code editing.
Not a NFO employee
MasterSeal
A regular
A regular

Post by MasterSeal »

*BUMP*

I just wanted to say thanks for your help and Notepad plus is easy, almost too easy and I've been using it now for quite some time.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these posts:)

...Seal...
Relax, Reflect, RELOAD!