SSH File Transferring On Debian 7

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

SSH File Transferring On Debian 7

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

How would I accomplish this? (SSH is much easier to use than I originally thought LOL) Aparently scp is the command to use, but I tried a variation or two and it didnt seem to do it, it said *identifier* was an invalid host. Could I get the correct formatting for downloading files from my VDS to my computer? (and preferrably, to upload files TO the server also? :] thanks)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: SSH File Transferring On Debian 7

Post by Edge100x »

If your home computer is Windows, you'll need to use a SCP/SFTP client such as WinSCP: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

sFTP/SCP also allows file transfer commands over net? I've got PuTTy already, and already have access to the server through it. PuTTy doesn't allow file transfer commands, only a remote-control-like command line? With PuTTy you can use the scp command on the OS, wouldn't that work?

Edit: Thought I had mentioned I was using PuTTy, oops. Incorrectly confused SSH with PuTTy, too lol.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

To use SCP on the server, you'd need another Linux machine with OpenSSH and port 22 forwarded. I'd recommend FileZilla for SFTP/FTP as it is simple, works well, and has decent features.

SCP is great when sending files to another Linux server, though.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

I don't understand the need for a middleman with forwarding.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rymax99 »

QOOOOOOOOQ wrote:I don't understand the need for a middleman with forwarding.
SCP is to copy files from a Linux server to a Linux server, or something based on Unix such as a Mac.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

+1 for filezilla in SFTP mode.

Just change the Protocol when you add the site to SFTP and enter your SSH login information and you're good to go!
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

soja wrote:+1 for filezilla in SFTP mode.

Just change the Protocol when you add the site to SFTP and enter your SSH login information and you're good to go!
Does that mean i need to setup a webserver first then? I still don't get the reason for getting another Linux server setup... so that I can transfer files from one Linux computer... to another Linux computer, from there, how would I get them onto my pc? Even if I was running a virtual Linux server on my pc, I couldn't transfer them iut of that partition into another one, could I? Viewing directories from a Linux partition in Windows would show all the files like in Windws, or?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

QOOOOOOOOQ wrote:
soja wrote:+1 for filezilla in SFTP mode.

Does that mean i need to setup a webserver first then? I still don't get the reason for getting another Linux server setup... so that I can transfer files from one Linux computer... to another Linux computer, from there, how would I get them onto my pc? Even if I was running a virtual Linux server on my pc, I couldn't transfer them iut of that partition into another one, could I? Viewing directories from a Linux partition in Windows would show all the files like in Windws, or?
No.

Install Filezilla on your desktop, follow instructions above, download/upload to your hearts content!
Not a NFO employee
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

Alright, thanks, it works. :D
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »