Not getting any traffic? Advice?

FTNgizmo
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Not getting any traffic? Advice?

Post by FTNgizmo »

I have had my server up for a few days now and it doesnt appear to be getting ANY kind of traffic.

I have it set for de_dust2, and ill admit its only an 11 slot. Anyone have any thoughts? I literally havent had 1 person..

|FTN| Public Clan Server - De_Dust2//De_Inferno - 24.7
74.91.125.169:27015
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Not getting any traffic? Advice?

Post by TacTicToe »

Small server size for a public server is a turn off. A server that size is generally used for something like a clan scrimage. There are thousands of servers that are online, have been for some time now and have an established player base. Until or unless you make something special about your server, to make is stand out from the crowd, you will have a hard, if not impossible time filling it. Another Dust 2 server with Infereno??!?! Probably not going to fill that bill.

For example. BF3 was released as free. I'm thinking WOW great time to setup a new BF3 server, with what is sure to have a huge influx of new players. I ordered a 64 slot BF3 server. Tried different things like 24/7 Metro, Air maps only, etc. Never got the players. Still too many servers online, and I ended up just canceling the server.

It is extremely difficult, at best, to start up a server for a game that has been around for a while.

At minimum, you would need to increase the slot size to 24 for the public to even give your server a glance. Then you will need to look for your niche. Dust 2 is probably not going to do it. Try going to something like surf server, or zombies or something that sticks out somehow. Also, there are alot of stat whores out there, that like their stats. Advertising GameMe stats or something to that affect could help. If you have some friends that can help you seed the server, that could help.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Oh the age long theory of Dust2 attracting players. You will not and I say will not get any players on Dust2 map. The only way to get quick player base is to make servers non-steam and buy those stupid boosts.

You have to understand that, CS 1.6 is a really old game and there is no shortage of servers out there. Building player base is as tough as nails and would require lots of time. Not to mention that player base has been diminishing every day.

The only legit way to make it popular is invites. You gotta have people on your friend list who can come and get games going. A random player will not join an empty server and wait for someone to commence the game. You need to get a few friends on board and target a prime time slot, usually around 9 EST. Get your gang together and get games going.
Hotrod
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Hotrod »

I agree you need at least a 20 man server. Also you need to be in there playing as many hours a day as possible. I have a cz server been up for 2 months now and is already ranked 34th at game tracker. Invite your friends and use your mic. Players like talking with the server owner. Also find a bunch of people you trust and give them admin. People will play at your server if they have admin. Good luck !!!! :mrgreen:
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Nice necro. :)