Web Server Time

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Web Server Time

Post by cobar »

It would appear that our web hosting server time is also off by a hour. 3astcoast3lite.nuclearfallout.net.

Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The webhosting time is actually refreshed hourly from the UCLA time server (which is 2ms away from the webserver). It should never be more than a second off of NIST standard.

These forums always appear to be an hour off for me but that's because of their time zone settings.

Keep in mind that the webserver is also on Pacific time.
cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by cobar »

hmmmm

Our server is set to GMT - 5 hours and we're off by an hour. Could it be a daylights savings issue?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I thought you said you were having problems with the webserver. Are you talking about the game server?

I know the webserver time is correct. The game server time would be a separate issue.

I'm posting this at 1:42pm PDT and the webserver agrees.

[root@nuclearfallout manage]# date
Wed May 12 13:42:30 PDT 2004
Supernuker
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Supernuker »

If you don't live in L.A then you can adjust the time so its right in your profile, I did it and mines accurate.
cobar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by cobar »

So - fake it out? Even though I'm in EST, GMT-5, and my profile is GMT-5. The site currently has the time 9:20pm (GMT-5), I should change the board to be GMT-4 so that time is accurate? Or tell my forum users to change their time manually? LA is GMT-8, Atlanta is GMT-5, if time is correct in LA, then the time should be right in Atlanta, shouldn't it?

cobar
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

GMT is actually deprecated; the new standard is called UTC, for Universal Coordinated Time (or Coordinated Universal Time). It's basically the same thing. I'm not sure why the board uses GMT.

UTC is not adjusted for daylight savings. So your time should be UTC-4 during daylight savings periods and UTC-5 during standard periods.

So yes, you would need to adjust it by hand, since the board doesn't seem to natively support daylight savings time.