A Suggestion For Null Routes

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: A Suggestion For Null Routes

Post by IcEWoLF »

8 hours sounds excessive, why can't it be less?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

IcEWoLF wrote:Is it an automated system that does the null routing or do you usually review everything before null routing?
It is partially automated and partially manual. We describe it in detail here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... 25&t=11456
8 hours sounds excessive, why can't it be less?
We carefully choose the amount of time based on how much a null-route-worthy attack would impact customers and the likelihood of another attack against a target occurring within the null-routed period. Both of these determinations are made based on what we see from current attack activity. 8h is on the low end, but we have used as low as 4h at times.

As described in the article (which is linked in every events log post made to the rare customer who requires a null-route), we also remove a null-route if we determine that it was a false positive or believe that the attack would be mitigated effectively were it to immediately recur. False positives are extremely rare.

I keep saying this because it continues to bear repeating: A null-route is a very big deal for us. If you're upset that you're attracting attacks that cause you to be null-routed, that's perfectly understandable, but you should not be upset at us. We are a victim just as you are, as is every single customer at your same location, who all had to suffer packet loss until the null-route took effect. You should take every reasonable step to avoid becoming a target of extremely large DDoS attacks.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Any plans for upgrading Chicago's capacity?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

theRadAleks, yes, that is something that we are working on.