Domain Usage - Office 365 E-Mail & For Webhosting/Forums

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Domain Usage - Office 365 E-Mail & For Webhosting/Forums

Post by DoctorFink »

I own ftagaming.net and have it setup through my Office 365 account as an Exchange mailbox. It appears that once I setup this domain through NFo to be used for our webhosting address, it also modified MX/mail routing.

Is there a way to have the domain you all host for the web portion, also work for a separate mail client?

EDIT:

I went in and did see that your system automatically modified the MX Record. If I remove this and revert back to what Office 365 needs, is that going to mess anything up with my webhosting or forums?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Domain Usage - Office 365 E-Mail & For Webhosting/Forums

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote: I went in and did see that your system automatically modified the MX Record. If I remove this and revert back to what Office 365 needs, is that going to mess anything up with my webhosting or forums?
It shouldn't.
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:It shouldn't.
Hey soja,

Well I'm an idiot. The MX records were not changed, but mail is not routing to my Office 365 mailbox for my ftagaming.net account.

NFo,

What are your thoughts? I need mail to flow to my Office 365 Exchange mailbox for that domain, but also obviously use it for our website services with you guys.

Thanks!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:
soja wrote:It shouldn't.
Hey soja,

Well I'm an idiot. The MX records were not changed, but mail is not routing to my Office 365 mailbox for my ftagaming.net account.

NFo,

What are your thoughts? I need mail to flow to my Office 365 Exchange mailbox for that domain, but also obviously use it for our website services with you guys.

Thanks!
Since NFO is now managing DNS for your domain, you need to set up MX records to tell email servers to use your Office 365 mailbox.
Not a NFO employee
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

soja wrote:Since NFO is now managing DNS for your domain, you need to set up MX records to tell email servers to use your Office 365 mailbox.
Are you talking about setting those up on the NFo side? In GoDaddy, where my domain is hosted, it already has the MX records that Office 365 needs - Office 365 does that during the domain setup process.

Thanks, soja!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DoctorFink wrote:
soja wrote:Since NFO is now managing DNS for your domain, you need to set up MX records to tell email servers to use your Office 365 mailbox.
Are you talking about setting those up on the NFo side? In GoDaddy, where my domain is hosted, it already has the MX records that Office 365 needs - Office 365 does that during the domain setup process.

Thanks, soja!
Is NFO hosting your DNS, or is GoDaddy?
Not a NFO employee
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

If you are using the domain with our webhosting, you're using our DNS management, with the NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM and NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM nameservers. This makes the DNS management stop working on the registrar's (GoDaddy) site, so you'd need to recreate the MX records with us.
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

Vanderburg wrote:If you are using the domain with our webhosting, you're using our DNS management, with the NS1.NFOSERVERS.COM and NS2.NFOSERVERS.COM nameservers. This makes the DNS management stop working on the registrar's (GoDaddy) site, so you'd need to recreate the MX records with us.
Thanks for the response, Vanderburg! Totally makes sense - didn't even think about it.

I have the MX record copied from GoDaddy, but I don't see an option to add an MX record under the "Domains" section of my websites Control Panel. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction?

Thank you much!
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

Disregard. I need sleep. Figured it out and a test message was received through Office 365.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Glad to hear you got it worked out. For anyone in the future that might come across this, MX records are set by using the little triangle, to the right of the subdomain, which will expand the options for that subdomain, including MX records.
DoctorFink
A regular
A regular

Post by DoctorFink »

Vanderburg wrote:Glad to hear you got it worked out. For anyone in the future that might come across this, MX records are set by using the little triangle, to the right of the subdomain, which will expand the options for that subdomain, including MX records.
Exactly! Just remember you don't need to add an additional record for "@", once you have added your custom domain to NFo via Control Panel, they will automatically provide a record for "@" and "www", simply go to your "@" record, click the little triangle on the right, check the box for setting your MX record and enter your MX record there. If you have more than one, be sure to indicate a priority by setting the numbers in the drop-downs next to each record - the lower the number, the higher priority.

Thanks again for helping point me in the right direction, guys!