LA Hardware?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
stickz
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

LA Hardware?

Post by stickz »

Is there any ETA when anther dual e5-2697v3 might make it's way down to Los Angeles?

I wanted to activate there a couple weeks ago, but had to go with New York instead. It meant less players overall and interference with Frankfurt in exchange for no performance comprises; these are not decisions I like to be making.

Even if a couple cores opened up, I wouldn't feel comfortable activating there with the large amount of virtualized execution cores already in use. The ST (Steal Time) would be too high for my standards.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: LA Hardware?

Post by soja »

stickz wrote:Is there any ETA when anther dual e5-2697v3 might make it's way down to Los Angeles?

I wanted to activate there a couple weeks ago, but had to go with New York instead. It meant less players overall and interference with Frankfurt in exchange for no performance comprises; these are not decisions I like to be making.

Even if a couple cores opened up, I wouldn't feel comfortable activating there with the large amount of virtualized execution cores already in use. The ST (Steal Time) would be too high for my standards.
Because resources are dedicated to your instance, there is no steal cpu time for your VDS.

The 2690v2 is pretty much standard at this point, and provides very similar performance to the 2697v3. If you got put on a weaker machine you can always ask in a support ticket if there is any space available on a faster machine.

EDIT: Believe me, there is nobody that holds high performance at a higher standard than my community, and the VDS's are all consistent in their performance.
Not a NFO employee
stickz

Post by stickz »

soja wrote: The 2690v2 is pretty much standard at this point, and provides very similar performance to the 2697v3. If you got put on a weaker machine you can always ask in a support ticket if there is any space available on a faster machine.
Incorrect. The e5-2697v3's are the new standard. VDS are being placed on Nehalems there currently, there just isn't space for anything better than an e5-2690v2.

The hardrives on the e5-2690v2's drive me crazy. It takes forever to set-up things and sometimes change level without SSD caches. Plus the single threaded strength on Haswell is noticeably stronger than it's Ivy Bridge counter-part.

The one CPU there with a 4.0ghz Ivy bridge turbo is hiding as well, likely full.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Damn you have more insight into how nfo works than me...even though I have been a customer for years and have used every service they offer.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

soja, I'm not sure that he does.

We already use E5-2697v3s in LA. We also have other types of machines there which are similarly fast on a per-core basis and that also have hybrid storage (which seems to be a concern for you, re: I/O).

Assignment to a machine is done automatically based on the machine that can best fit your requested server size, and we can't guarantee which type you will receive. We also can't guarantee that we will move you to another type if you request it.

Steal time is not a significant problem with our VDSes here at any location because we underload them so much.

The nature of Xen and Intel processors means that turbo frequencies should not be exposed to clients while running. They change dynamically on our end in response to usage.

(The types of machines that we use changes over time, of course, as new ones come out. Anyone viewing this post in the future, keep that in mind -- what's here will be out of date.)
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Edge100x wrote:soja, I'm not sure that he does.
Of course John I know that :P I was being sarcastic. There is no way he knows what machines have room, I know you guys have SSD cache on the v2 machines, and haswell's improvement over ivy is the standard 10-15% tick-tock speed bump Intil has been doing for years.
Not a NFO employee
stickz

Post by stickz »

It's as simple as opening a ticket. The fastest available machine at the time for a two core was a V2. I couldn't get the V3 I needed at the time which caused an announce. The dual V3 config has 28 processor cores, and 2 weren't available. So I was wondering if anther was coming or planned to be added in the future.

And it's pretty obvious if there's a SSD cache or not based on how long steamcmd takes. It either gets stuck on the same number or pushes along normally. Spinning mechanical drives can't handle 1000's of files being thrown at them at once.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

stickz wrote:It's as simple as opening a ticket. The fastest available machine at the time for a two core was a V2. I couldn't get the V3 I needed at the time which caused an announce. The dual V3 config has 28 processor cores, and 2 weren't available. So I was wondering if anther was coming or planned to be added in the future.

And it's pretty obvious if there's a SSD cache or not based on how long steamcmd takes. It either gets stuck on the same number or pushes along normally. Spinning mechanical drives can't handle 1000's of files being thrown at them at once.
Goes to show how much you know. After steampipe and steamcmd was introduced, it doesn't download files individually anymore. Also, that's a pretty silly way to benchmark. Steamcmd can hang for a number of reasons.
Not a NFO employee
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

A large percentage of E5-2590 v2 machines also have SSD caching, as well. You don't have to be put on an E5-2697 v3 to get this. If your concern is SSD caching, you should ask for that in your request, instead of the E5-2697 v3.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

Let's keep this on topic everyone. I don't want to start locking threads that devolve into arguing.
stickz

Post by stickz »

My original question about the e5-2697v3 still wasn't answered. I simply wanted to know if there was any plans for anther of this specific type of machine in Los Angeles. This is the machine I like, it works the best in terms of hardware for the tasks I like to perform. Nothing minisculely weaker than this is good enough.

I noticed this standard wasn't consistently in stock, so I thought I'd create a thread asking about this. The other types of machines could be running on floppy drives for all care. I don't want to use them in LA.

I was rather disappointed that I couldn't get this specific machine, when I activated a VDS there a little bit more than week ago. And had to end up moving my game servers to New York instead.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

You missed my answer, which was that we already have E5-2697v3 hardware in LA, as well as other, similarly fast machines. These machines currently have open capacity.

We also add new hardware as required and new machines will likely use E5-2697v3 or faster processors. I do not know when we will need more hardware in LA, since that is based on customer orders; essentially, when we run low on space, we order more.
stickz

Post by stickz »

Edge100x wrote:You missed my answer, which was that we already have E5-2697v3 hardware in LA, as well as other, similarly fast machines. These machines currently have open capacity.

We also add new hardware as required and new machines will likely use E5-2697v3 or faster processors. I do not know when we will need more hardware in LA, since that is based on customer orders; essentially, when we run low on space, we order more.
Was there actually open capacity at this time? Or did support just not want to move myself to the E5-2697v3 for some reason?

Code: Select all

Tue, Aug 11 2015 1:16pm
I need this VDS moved to the fastest available processor at this location ASAP.

Tue, Aug 11 2015 1:19pm - answered by Vanderburg
I have initiated the move to an E5-2690v2 machine for you now.

Tue, Aug 11 2015 1:20pm
Are there no e5-2697 v3 processors available?

Tue, Aug 11 2015 1:21pm - answered by Jordan
There are not.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The machine could be there and have some spare capacity, but your overall VDS size is going to play a role here as well. Larger VDS packages can have less of a selection to choose from, especially in locations that don't need a constant supply of new hardware.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
stickz

Post by stickz »

kraze wrote:The machine could be there and have some spare capacity, but your overall VDS size is going to play a role here as well. Larger VDS packages can have less of a selection to choose from, especially in locations that don't need a constant supply of new hardware.
I didn't know a two core VDS could play such a big role, given how the machine has 28 processor cores.

But the original question is if there was actually room at the time I asked or not.