Serious Packet Loss on Teamspeak

lpj
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Serious Packet Loss on Teamspeak

Post by lpj »

So in my community, a friend is the one who runs our Teamspeak server using NFO. It has mostly been great until several months ago. Every now and then, there will be a crazy spike in packet loss for everyone on the server and we all sound choppy and robotic to each other. It usually doesn't last more than a few minutes but its grown to become quite an annoyance. Sometimes its very mild and isn't that bad but it is noticeable, nonetheless. We mostly ignored it since it was infrequent and didnt last long but its become more common lately and I consistently forget to make a log for it but I did write down the time and date last time it occurred.

On this last occasion it was relatively mild, not really noticeable but the average packet loss for the server did hit 15% and for each individual user it was about 30%+ for about a minute. This occurred on February 19th, 2016 at around 7:21:55 PM and 7:23:25 PM EST.

I wasn't sure what was causing this but after seeing an event log for my webserver a few days ago, I'm guessing that this is being caused by the data center being hit with denial of service attacks. The Teamspeak server is hosted in NYC and the IP address is: 63.251.20.99:37120

If this is being caused by DoS attacks, would moving over to the Seattle data center alleviate this issue being that is has a higher bandwidth throughput or is that location also being hit? I'm willing to switch over but I'd really hate the fact that we'd be forced to also switch our IP address.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Serious Packet Loss on Teamspeak

Post by kraze »

Moving your server to a new location could help with effects of an attack at the location, but it really just depends on the attack in question. Right now, Seattle/Chicago are the best equipped to fight attacks, so those would be your best bet.

Generally, I'd recommend contacting us first, so we can identify if a DDoS is actually the problem. If it isn't, then moving likely won't help.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!