Autoinstallers installing outdated versions of software

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Autoinstallers installing outdated versions of software

Post by Naleksuh »

Appears the installer for PHPMyAdmin is installing an outdated version (4.8.3), despite the most recent version (4.9.5) being released about a month and a half ago and fixing injection vulnerabilities. Is there any reason NFO is still installing 4.8.3?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Autoinstallers installing outdated versions of software

Post by Edge100x »

We update the autoinstallers relatively frequently -- generally every 1-3 months. It is a manual process and brings them up to the latest versions. In between our manual updates, they will become slightly out of date.

It's important that customers also be comfortable with, and ready to, update the software after it has been automatically installed, as all software will need to be updated later, and we don't have a facility to update applications after the initial installation. Particularly important to track are updates for security vulnerabilities, as you alluded to.

If you'd like for us to update one of the autoinstallers specifically before you install it, please open a support request about it and we can take a look.

(phpMyAdmin is also one of the easiest to install and update by hand, thankfully.)
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Autoinstallers installing outdated versions of software

Post by Naleksuh »

Yes, I'm comfortable with updating it myself (and I did). However, I would hope that fixing vulnerabilities would cause it to be updated faster than three months, both because people might not know it's out of date and because many people who use the installers are people who don't know how to install it themselves (or just lazy like me....). Around a month does seem like an acceptable rate for "regular changes" though