Domain name IPs

Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Domain name IPs

Post by Naleksuh »

One common thing in the NFo community is using domain names for game server IPs (i.e. I can turn "74.91.117.174:27015" into "pvp1.zs.naleksuh.com")-- Edge100x recommends this on the forums before and any purchased game servers get an IP of their own like "servicename.game.nfoservers.com"

This works fine for Minecraft servers, as direct connections are common and the IP you type is the IP you store.

But for Source engine, it's not really the same. People almost never do direct connections and even if you type a domain name to add to your favorites, the game will still store the numbers IP. Meaning you still have to pay some attention to your numbers IPs and can't just move them around freely.

I'm curious if anyone else has any comments or has run into this issue before, I myself don't see a way around it without either not caring about anyone who doesn't use the domain names or giving great care to the numbers IPs, ruining the point of domain IPs in the fisrt place
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Domain name IPs

Post by Edge100x »

The DNS can be used to connect through the console, and it can be used to add to favorites, which is definitely still useful. It is easy to put on websites and the IP can be updated as needed without changing the DNS.

Modern Valve games, such as CS:GO and TF2, actually support updating Favorites entries automatically to follow the server if it moves to a new IP, as long as the token is set properly.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Interesting...I tried tokens and it didn't work, which wasn't surprising...the official Steam pages are heavily out of date..but if Edge100x says it still works then its definitely something I did wrong
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Oh wait, it might be that it only works if you were using the token before they favorited it, which sucks.

To any new server owners, don't repeat my mistake and use tokens from day one
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Update:

I moved my server IP again after 2.5 years, and it seems the favorites updated this time.

I put the GSLTs on about a week or two ago, and my favorites updated. I'm not sure what the difference is-- if I need it on for some time, if the server must restart, if the client must refresh their favorites, or if this was just a game bug that got fixed.

But it seems this is no longer a problem now.