New to server hosting, just have some questions

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
LongBottomLeaf
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

New to server hosting, just have some questions

Post by LongBottomLeaf »

Howdy! Like the title says I am new to server hosting, my goal is to host a 32 player TF2 trading server with a custom map and lots of different plugins. I am familiar with what is needed to host a server, just not... what to do to set it up or intergrade plugins and server config for NFO hosted servers. Or even what kind of server would be best, DS or VDS, etc. So I guess I am mainly wondering how much is handled by the NFO control panel, and really just the basics of getting a server up and running. Any resources or suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: New to server hosting, just have some questions

Post by TimeX »

If you plan on running only one server, I recommend going with a regular, by-the-slot server rental and not a VDS or DS. It is more cost-effective that way, and will have higher potential performance than a virtualized server would.

As for customizing it, some options and configs can be edited directly from our control panel. Other things, like maps and addons, can be uploaded through FTP access, with the login information for that also contained in the control panel.

All that said, I'm not familiar with the setup of TF2 trading servers specifically, so I'm not able to give any advice specific to that. Perhaps others can share some advice in that regard.
TimeX
LongBottomLeaf
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LongBottomLeaf »

For now I plan on running just the one server so thanks!

Ok so the control panel does handle some things, and also has integration for plugins/maps/etc from FTP. Is FTP client something I have to download on my end? Or I guess covered on NFO server end?

Well the only real difference between trade servers and regular game mode servers are just plugins so I appreciate the help!
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

"If you plan on running only one server, I recommend going with a regular, by-the-slot server rental and not a VDS or DS. It is more cost-effective that way"

I don't think it is, a 32-slot Team Fortress 2 server is $28.79/month rented directly, but you can get a 2-core VDS for $9.99. If you really want to go all-out, you can use Windows and avoid using the machine IP but that's still only $21.98 a month which is still less than $28.79

"and will have higher potential performance than a virtualized server would."

I agree with this, and it's probably the main reason people use the rented game servers. However, in my experience I haven't noticed a change in performance on Team Fortress 2 servers, it's probably most applicable for games like Minecraft/Rust/etc
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I forget sometimes how much we have brought those prices down, so I'll need to revise what I said and be more specific.

When compared to an unmanaged VDS, perhaps a standard game server is not more cost effective. Though an unmanaged VDS means doing all the work yourself, including the installing and setup of the TF2 server software, so you would want to be prepared for that.

A managed VDS that you have the same control panel and ease of use as a standard game server is certainly not more cost effective when only running one game server, as those configurations have a minimum core count.

In regards to performance, there is certainly a difference, there is no question about that. The added virtualization adds a bit of CPU overhead. It is a small amount, but it can make a large difference on server configurations that use a lot of CPU. While TF2 can be light on performance compared to some of those other games when stock, that can change drastically once custom content is added, especially on larger servers.
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

"All that said, I'm not familiar with the setup of TF2 trading servers specifically, so I'm not able to give any advice specific to that. Perhaps others can share some advice in that regard."

Trade servers don't mean much besides setting the map to a trading map and adding "trade" to the server tags.

"In regards to performance, there is certainly a difference, there is no question about that. The added virtualization adds a bit of CPU overhead. It is a small amount, but it can make a large difference on server configurations that use a lot of CPU. While TF2 can be light on performance compared to some of those other games when stock, that can change drastically once custom content is added, especially on larger servers."

That is basically what I was trying to say but I think you put it better.
LongBottomLeaf
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LongBottomLeaf »

Hmm ok thanks for the insight. A managed VDS is probably my best bet since I don't really know what I am doing. I do plan on eventually hosting other servers so I will get my money out of it. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for a server that is mostly set up.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

To be clear, a managed VDS just means you have access to the control panel...it won't perform as well and you'll have to pay at the minimum $49.99/month ($89.99/month for Windows) - so if you just want a single server, renting directly would be the same, but cheaper and better.

For if you want to create many many servers, a managed VDS might be better
LongBottomLeaf
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LongBottomLeaf »

Naleksuh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:48 am To be clear, a managed VDS just means you have access to the control panel...it won't perform as well and you'll have to pay at the minimum $49.99/month ($89.99/month for Windows) - so if you just want a single server, renting directly would be the same, but cheaper and better.

For if you want to create many many servers, a managed VDS might be better
Ah I see. Well renting directly is probably best then because it will be a while before I host other servers. I am still a bit unsure how to integrate plugins for a NFO hosted server. I guess through the control panel? And would I still have access to the control panel with the cheaper renting option? Thanks again.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

For adding plugins and maps, you would need to do so through FTP, and for that, you will need an FTP client, such as Filezilla or WinSCP. Our control panel is included with standard game server rentals.
TimeX
LongBottomLeaf
New to forums
New to forums

Post by LongBottomLeaf »

Ah ok STP client is something I'd need on my end. Gotcha. Think I asked earlier in the thread if STP client was part of the control panel or something so thanks for telling me. Think I have a solid understanding of what is going on, so I really appreciate the help!