Source SRCDS on Ubuntu Server [no gui]

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
ThisIsRobokitty
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Source SRCDS on Ubuntu Server [no gui]

Post by ThisIsRobokitty »

Anyone ever installed a source dedicated server on gui-less linux? I've followed steps from these guides but wine won't run properly. Running wine winecfg doesn't work well either. I would normally get
AllowConsole Can't allocate console
when running from batch script. Running wine winecfg last returned
0024:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)

The second guide is for the specific dedicated server. EYE: Divine Cybermancy. It is a Source2007 game made in 2011.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Source SRCDS on Ubuntu Server [no gui]

Post by TimeX »

If you are running Linux, you may want to consider installing the Linux version of the software instead, if they have one. You will likely see better performance that way.

We have a few guides here that may help, including some Linux installs for Source based games:
viewforum.php?f=67
TimeX
ThisIsRobokitty
New to forums
New to forums

The only other person hosting has had it running on linux for a while, I figured I might get a performance boost with no_gui linux (also cost effective). There is only a windows version of the dedicated server.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

It looks like that tutorial wants you installing an emulated xorg server of some kind, or something that just sort of encapsulates it.

Honestly it may be easier to just install xorg since that's already some fairly complex work to get it running to begin with. Our hosting allows for the installation of a desktop environment. You could install xubuntu-desktop and get one of the more minimal desktops.

I don't own that game to be able to test that tutorial fully unfortunately.
ThisIsRobokitty
New to forums
New to forums

It actually doesn't require ownership. Just a valid steam account. I've already moved to windows but I might try it on another machine.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

Makes me wonder if that tutorial would even work if it has incorrect info. I'll see if I can get it running on a test VDS of ours.