How can I enable replays after April 2017?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How can I enable replays after April 2017?

Post by Naleksuh »

In April 2017, Valve removed the remote FTP option for replays, leaving server operators only with the ability to use local web servers. This means that guides such as viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5302 will no longer work, and it isn't possible to enable replays using standalone gameservers or managed (V)DSes. In order to enable replays, you will need an unmanaged (V)DS running a web server software.

As an example I will assume this is an unmanaged VDS running Ubuntu 20.04 with Apache. Similar steps should be available for any service, OS, or web software.

A local web server is required. On Ubuntu 20.04 Apache can be installed with a single command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apache2
This will create and open an Apache web server on the servers' IP address with the contents being stored in /var/www/html

Optionally, you may choose to add domain names, enable HTTPS, or put replays in a subdirectory, but I normally just use the default configuration.

Replay requires 3 essential parts to work:
replay_local_fileserver_path - Usually /var/www/html , can be something else if you changed it
replay_fileserver_host - Should be your servers IP address, or a domain name if you are using that
replay_fileserver_path - Usually just "/" (unless on a subdirectory)

After that you may simply set replay_enable to 1 and change the level. Also, I recommend putting these commands in autoexec.cfg - since they require a map change to work, it's best done before the initial map starts up.