Windows server 2016 stuck on 0% updating.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Windows server 2016 stuck on 0% updating.

Post by bobytoe »

I have no idea how to fix this.
Attachments
grSEWT.PNG
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Windows server 2016 stuck on 0% updating.

Post by TimeX »

Have you tried rebooting the server yet? Also, are there any firewalls in place?
TimeX
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bobytoe »

TimeX wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:08 pm Have you tried rebooting the server yet? Also, are there any firewalls in place?
Ive restarted it and removed all firewall rules (except for one). Nothing.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

What would that one rule be?
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bobytoe »

Naleksuh wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:05 am What would that one rule be?
Just someone’s ip. I removed it anyway but still no changes.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

To clarify after you restart does it say it's updating on 0% immediately or does it not update and when you try again it's 0%?
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bobytoe »

Naleksuh wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:43 pm To clarify after you restart does it say it's updating on 0% immediately or does it not update and when you try again it's 0%?
When I restart while it's stuck in 0%, it says to retry updates since the VPS was off. When I click retry, it takes a couple minutes to check for updates and then it gets stuck on 0%.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I have sometimes seen updates go very slow. Have you tried leaving it for an hour or so then going back to see if it progressed?

If it is one specific update in particular, you may need to research that update to see if others are having the same problem or if there is a problem on Microsoft's end.
TimeX
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bobytoe »

TimeX wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:06 pm I have sometimes seen updates go very slow. Have you tried leaving it for an hour or so then going back to see if it progressed?

If it is one specific update in particular, you may need to research that update to see if others are having the same problem or if there is a problem on Microsoft's end.
It's been stuck like this for a week or more.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Yeah that shouldn't be right. Even large updates are only like 3-4 hours. I don't know why it would be at 0% for a week.

Definitely sounds like some type of Windows bug. You could try getting it sorted out with MS or simply changing to a newer OS. It looks like the WIndows Server 2016 EOL is in about 3 months so it might be a good idea to change to a newer OS, where you might not have this issue. I've never had it on Windows Server 2019 (tried 2022 but didn't like it)
bobytoe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bobytoe »

Naleksuh wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:11 pm Yeah that shouldn't be right. Even large updates are only like 3-4 hours. I don't know why it would be at 0% for a week.

Definitely sounds like some type of Windows bug. You could try getting it sorted out with MS or simply changing to a newer OS. It looks like the WIndows Server 2016 EOL is in about 3 months so it might be a good idea to change to a newer OS, where you might not have this issue. I've never had it on Windows Server 2019 (tried 2022 but didn't like it)
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

I mean, you don't *have* to, it was just a suggestion
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I've seen this generic situation when the windows firewall service is disabled (or, related, when the BFE service is disabled). Have you checked and made sure that both of those services are running?

If it's not that, then you may need to try resetting the update subsystem via the standard steps (i.e. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -resources).

Windows 2016 is not EOL until 2027. It is very similar to newer Windows server versions. Microsoft doesn't seem to be changing much.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

The "extended end date" is 2027. The "mainstream end date" is 2022. Again, not necessarily a requirement to change (of course, I think the breaking bad GIF tells all :lol: )

Also, yeah, OP mentioned firewalls before, but I they were only talking about control panel firewalls and not OS. Both are important info!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Naleksuh wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:40 amThe "extended end date" is 2027. The "mainstream end date" is 2022.
This makes its normal EOL 2027, yes.

As a practical matter, the "mainstream end date" doesn't matter, as Microsoft hasn't been releasing notable feature updates for Windows 2016 anyhow. Windows 2012 has been in the "extended support" phase for years and gets all the same security updates.

You may be confusing the "extended support" phase with the "extended security update program" for OSes. That starts after an OS reaches its "extended support" end date, and it requires paying Microsoft to continue to receive security updates.

MS talks more about the ESU here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecy ... ty-updates