A lesser powerful VPS plan

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Ethorbit
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A lesser powerful VPS plan

Post by Ethorbit »

I've been using the webhosting plan for a while and it has been great, however I wanted to go for node.js hosting which would require a VPS. The only problem is the jump from $3/month to $10/month to accomplish this. The specs are overkill for this too, It would be nice if there was something like a 1-core, 512MB RAM plan or something like that.

While one could get a VPS from a different provider, no one will give the bandwidth speeds that NFO does for the price.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: A lesser powerful VPS plan

Post by Naleksuh »

I've asked John about less powerful plans before, he said no because if there is only one core and 1GB of RAM, most of that would go to running the OS and there is no room for anything else. And you are asking for half of that much RAM making it even worse.

I personally would not recommend Node.js hosting either, both because it requires independent resources and a consistently running process due to its embedded webserver, unlike any other language that would enter from Apache or nginx. LAMP is a classic for a reason!
Ethorbit
New to forums
New to forums

Re: A lesser powerful VPS plan

Post by Ethorbit »

I mean, I'm running SSH, Node.JS (some discord bots), Nginx with 2 websites and MySQL Server on a VPS running on Ubuntu right now using 512MB RAM, 1 vCore (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz), 15 GB SSD and CPU usage hardly goes over 1%. Memory jumps up to only 25% but only when displaying large tables.

The only issue with the provider this is from is the bandwidth speeds which are 100 MB/s upload and 120 MB/s download, and it's very inconsistent.

I don't know what hardware NFO runs, but if it's anything similar to this then it'd have no problems at all running Linux with some services on top of it. Hopefully this is reconsidered, there's some wasted potential here.