.Net blazor app on existing web hosting plan?

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
kfparri
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

.Net blazor app on existing web hosting plan?

Post by kfparri »

I'm trying to figure out if I can host a .NET 6 Blazor server app on my existing web hosting or if I have to sign up for a VPS. I have built a sample app that is self contained that appears to run on my web hosting(no need to install .net), however, the normal way to host an app this way is to have the app run as a service and use a reverse proxy to interact with the service (the app runs on port 5000 but the proxy routes it from 80/443).

So my question is, can I do this on my existing web hosting, or am I going to have to sign up for a VPS in order to make it work?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: .Net blazor app on existing web hosting plan?

Post by TimeX »

You mentioned that it runs, so I'm not sure what problem you are running into exactly. What specifically is going wrong? Are there any error messages involved?
TimeX
kfparri
New to forums
New to forums

Post by kfparri »

It runs, but I can't navigate to the default page (its running on port 5000). It looks like the page is only viewable from localhost (I'm using lynx on the server and can navigate to the page).

It looks the app expects a reverse proxy to be used to make it externally available. Based on that, it appears that I will have to use a VDS so I can manage the Apache configuration
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

With that much configuration needed, a VDS does seem to be needed to be able to configure what you need, both in terms of access and possibly due to some restrictions.
TimeX
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

You can't open ports on the web hosting. Also, any process that you start is killed after 2 minutes, so nothing that requires a continuous process will work. A VDS likely needs to be used for this
kfparri
New to forums
New to forums

Post by kfparri »

Thanks for all the help! Like I thought a VDS is the way to go.