A happy problem but a problem nonetheless, what do I do?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Vortire
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

A happy problem but a problem nonetheless, what do I do?

Post by Vortire »

G'day NFO!

I've been with NFO since 2019 and the initial server config has served me very well performance wise. Since I operate a VPN service I decided to go with a fixed Mbps instead of fixed monthly bandwidth simply due to my worry of having any over-charges. However, 3 years on and me and my VPN users are - unfortunately - starting to feel the fixed Mbps cap more and more and it's time I upgraded my config.

So, do I:
1. Up the cap to 120Mbps but stick with INAP but not at a premium location
2. Move to a premium location, see how it goes and up to 120Mbps if required
3. Swap to a fixed monthly bandwidth and write an automated system that alerts me if my usage exhausts >75% of the fixed limit

Also, to any NFO staff who might know, on the network page it states (in the tooltip blue dialog when hovered over capacity) that having a larger capacity does not lead to lower latency but further down the page does say that NFO's "secret sauce" modifications ensure the absolute lowest latency possible. Is it worth the swap to a premium location based on latency alone?

Thank you! :)
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: A happy problem but a problem nonetheless, what do I do?

Post by TimeX »

I don't have much input I can offer on a higher limit versus an alert on usage levels, as that comes down to management preferences on your part.

Latency is largely determined by distance as the route travels (not as a bird flies), so you will want to pick a location that works best for your users. Premium locations lower latency by better optimizing routing for a possibly more direct route, though distance is still a factor. Switching to a Premium location may not be worth it if it is much further away.

You could use the example IPs on that network page to see what ping is like for you and your users, and I recommend doing that before going through with a location change. I should also note that a location change would also mean an IP change.
TimeX