Q4 and Number of Slots

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
infamy
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Q4 and Number of Slots

Post by infamy »

Ok, 2 questions, one post. For the sake of simplicity.

1. Why are 8-person servers not offered? Is the difference between 10 and 8 so negligable that the price difference would also be negligable? I ask because I only ever use 8 of my 10 slots.

2. Any thoughts yet on Q4 pricing?

K.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Q4 and Number of Slots

Post by Edge100x »

infamy wrote:1. Why are 8-person servers not offered? Is the difference between 10 and 8 so negligable that the price difference would also be negligable?
We really don't want to offer game servers less than $15, it just isn't worth it.
2. Any thoughts yet on Q4 pricing?
No idea, because we won't be able to test that until the game is out. Hopefully they'll have improved the engine significantly since Doom3 was released, since it is extremely piggy for no apparent reason.

I laugh when I see other companies that are allowing people to "preorder" Q4 servers. They have no idea if they'll even be able to run the server program, let alone how many resources it'd use. It's almost fraud.
infamy
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Q4 and Number of Slots

Post by infamy »

Edge100x wrote: We really don't want to offer game servers less than $15, it just isn't worth it.
No kidding - one support question and your $15 would be gone. However, a 10-person HL2DM server with no frills is $38.00 - add ping accelerator and high-priority and we're up to $63 per month and I'm only using 80%.

I'm just doing the math right now as I was wondering about the feasibility of running a HL2DM server and a Q4 server. I'll revisit it once we see if Q4 is going to have to be priced in the Doom 3 range or not.

Thanks (as always) for the speedy response.

Kate.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We can likely make an exception for you on HL2DM pricing specifically, since it's more expensive. If you email, we can work something out.
Cobra
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Cobra »

^^^ Now that's what i call #1 customer service!
KurtPierce420
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by KurtPierce420 »

Looks like something I should have done... :lol: ...I love NFo GameServers and their support more then any other gameserver company out there, but if only they were just a wee bit cheaper... :cry:
I own you.
Cobra
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Cobra »

they are cheap for what they offer, i have shopped for a gaming hoster for the longest time till i was refered to here, and i HAVE checked other areas and found cheaper places, but bad reps for them, clanservers.com has cheap server, but i hear that the servers crash alot, the customer service sucks, if you want lower slots, e-mail edge he might work something out with ya.