NuclearFallout, Godly CS:S Servers!

SD|Deathdragon
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

NuclearFallout, Godly CS:S Servers!

Post by SD|Deathdragon »

I love my NFO CS:S Server. I have had one awhile ago, and I'm back once again to enjoy the Quality servers NuclearFallout provides. I even recently upgraded my cs:s server. Increased player slots, Hyperaccelerator [500 FPS], and High CPU Priority.

I did have a few questions however...

1. Is there anyway I can get my cs:s server (24/7 Office | SuddenDeathServer.com | 100 Tick : 63.251.20.84:27015) put on the Server Listings? https://www.nfoservers.com/clientserverlisting.php

2. My server ip shows up in WA on HLstatsX Google map. Is there anyway I can make it show up in NYC which is where the server is supposed to be?
http://suddendeath.hlstatsx.com

3. Is there any other features you can think of to make my cs:s server even better than it is already?

Stop by sometime and say hello!
SD|Deathdragon
Sudden Death Server
63.251.20.84:27015
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: NuclearFallout, Godly CS:S Servers!

Post by Edge100x »

I'm glad to hear we are doing well for you :).

1. Yes; this option should show up near the bottom of the "Access" tab in your control panel.

2. This occurs because they are using an incomplete geolocation database; most likely it is going off an old company office address in Seattle, shown in ARIN, and not the location of the datacenter. You would need to contact the HLstatsX people about updating this to correctly reflect InterNAP's "NYM" (New York City) datacenter location.

3. Not offhand :)
SD|Deathdragon
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SD|Deathdragon »

Edge100x wrote: 2. This occurs because they are using an incomplete geolocation database; most likely it is going off an old company office address in Seattle, shown in ARIN, and not the location of the datacenter. You would need to contact the HLstatsX people about updating this to correctly reflect InterNAP's "NYM" (New York City) datacenter location.

I did get a response from HLstatsX, "we update our geodatabase regulary, at the moment every 8 weeks. We are using the commerical version of maxminds geoip database. Therefore you have to be patient until the next update will be installed. By the way, the whois record is NOT(!) the way the geo detection is working."

So hopefully that gets resolved one day :)
Sudden Death Server
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

SD|Deathdragon wrote:
Edge100x wrote:I did get a response from HLstatsX, "we update our geodatabase regulary, at the moment every 8 weeks. We are using the commerical version of maxminds geoip database. Therefore you have to be patient until the next update will be installed. By the way, the whois record is NOT(!) the way the geo detection is working."
So hopefully that gets resolved one day :)
I'm glad he responded to you. If you're curious, he is only partially correct when he says geodetection is not based off "the" WHOIS record. All geoip databases use multiple sources, and the most common source of information is ARIN's WHOIS database, which is quite different from the WHOIS domain database run by various registrars to reflect information about domain names (the one that comes to most peoples' minds when they think of WHOIS). In Maxmind's case, ARIN's IP-based WHOIS does indeed appear to be the source of information for our NYC block. I say this because the zip code that Maxmind returns for this block (through their demo tool at http://www.maxmind.com/app/lookup_city) is only used by our old office address, and that address appears in the ARIN WHOIS information for only that block and nowhere else. (If this HLstatsX representative is learning to be a network engineer, he should definitely familiarize himself with ARIN's WHOIS, because it is a very powerful tool.)

This issue is something that's not likely to be resolved on its own, since Maxmind is basing their response off unchanging data in ARIN. It sounds like the next port of call is Maxmind; hopefully they can help with this and manually change the entry for us in their database. If they refuse to change the entry, I could try to finagle InterNAP into putting their DC's address into ARIN's WHOIS information for the block, but it's not truly an address that can be used to find us, so I suspect that they will not be willing to do that.
SD|Deathdragon
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SD|Deathdragon »

Edge100x wrote:This issue is something that's not likely to be resolved on its own, since Maxmind is basing their response off unchanging data in ARIN. It sounds like the next port of call is Maxmind; hopefully they can help with this and manually change the entry for us in their database. If they refuse to change the entry, I could try to finagle InterNAP into putting their DC's address into ARIN's WHOIS information for the block, but it's not truly an address that can be used to find us, so I suspect that they will not be willing to do that.
I contacted Maxmind about the issue. Although they didn't refuse to change the entry, I had to wait for some "future update". Which may never come or may take an excessive amount of time for such a simple fix. If there's anything you could do to help, I'd greatly appreciate it. NFO 4 Ever!
Sudden Death Server