Help on starting to install

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help on starting to install

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

#1. How do i make it so that i get a counter-strike:source server
#2. Do i need to install anything to the "server manager" like roles or anything or have you already done that
#3 if i do need to install stuff please list what
#4 how do i make the VDS/VPS secure
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Help on starting to install

Post by Edge100x »

#1: To get a basic CS:S server up and running on Windows, I'd recommend doing something very similar to what I wrote about CS 1.6 here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=4021. CS:S is just in a different folder (sourcebase). The menus method is the fastest way to get going.

#2: You shouldn't need to install any of the roles for straight game server hosting. If you want to do IIS-based webhosting on the same machine, the IIS-related role might be useful to you.

#3: The server should come with basically everything you need to get started, if you are just running a server for yourself or your clan. If you are looking to sell servers to others, I'd recommend that you install a FTP daemon such as FileZilla to give your users less than full administrator access, and you might also consider installing a full-blown control panel like TCAdmin.

#4: I talk more about basic security here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =44&t=4025. Mostly, it boils down to shutting down the "Server" service and not using the server for anything but your game servers.
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

"C:\Game installs\hldsbase". is not found on my vps/vds server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Did you check the box to have common game installs put on when you set up the OS?
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

No, i guess ill do that now
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

Ok i am at hlds.exe in the hlds folder and out of the 4 options there is not one for counterstrike source
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The CS:S folder is "sourcebase". I mentioned this above, but you must have missed it.
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

yes but when i click the srcds.exe it loads for a second but nothing pops up so i cant select anything. should i try reinstalling the OS?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It sounds like there may be a problem with the platform files. Could you try starting it through the command line?
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

and what is that command?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Just like with CS 1.6, open up a command prompt window with Start->Run, cmd.exe, and then cd "\Game installs\sourcebase". From there, you can use a nearly identical command to the one mentioned in the tutorial:

Code: Select all

srcds.exe -game cstrike -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -maxplayers 12 -debug -console -nocrashdialog
This will get you started with a basic server using our default configuration. From there, you'll want to customize it and add plugins, etc. I'd also recommend installing it as a system service using something like FireDaemon.
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

Ok for the ip part were u put xxx.ect. should i put random numbers in not used or put x or what
JayArea
New to forums
New to forums

Post by JayArea »

The srcds.exe popping up and then exiting is what happened to me. What I did was create a shortcut for srcds.exe and always use that to open, you can try that because It has always worked for me.

I recommend making a shortcut for srcds.exe and putting it on the desktop so you can easily start and stop servers.

As for the IP question, you use one of the IP's given to you in the control panel.

John can correct me on any of this if I am mistaken.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Jay, you're absolutely right and thank you!
+FEAR+EPIC
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by +FEAR+EPIC »

Ok i installed everything on my server and i had it going fine last night. Today i woke up and tryed to turn in on again and when i try to it says"C:\Game installs\sourcebase\srcds.exe is not a valid win32 application." and this is what i typed in to start the server cd "\Game installs\sourcebase"
then srcds.exe -game cstrike -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -maxplayers 32 -debug -console -nocrashdialog