Any benefit to additional IP addresses?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
coupsan
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Any benefit to additional IP addresses?

Post by coupsan »

I just upgraded my VPS to the two core one (yay!) and I just did it because I figured it would provide a nice boost in performance. I also read that the server gets an additional IP address--is there any point to this? I mean, I could use different ports if I wanted to host multiple small servers (27015 for one; 27014 for another) and then just use the other IP for my site. But is there any other reason to use it?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Any benefit to additional IP addresses?

Post by Edge100x »

Upgrading to a higher-end plan will mainly provide a boost in performance if one of the following is the case:

- You are running multiple game servers or other services and your CPU usage is getting a bit high (such as up above 50%).
- You are running low on RAM (which can lead to "lag spikes" and longer level loads).

With game servers, additional IP addresses are primarily useful if you want to hand them out to others to type in manually, so that you don't have to give the port number. With webhosting, any SSL-enabled site has to be on its own IP (with a few exceptions).
coupsan
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: Any benefit to additional IP addresses?

Post by coupsan »

Alright, thank you.