Edge, If you could take a look and offer up your advice.

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
dynastygaming
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Edge, If you could take a look and offer up your advice.

Post by dynastygaming »

I rented the four core VPS/VDS a little less than a week ago and since then it has been nothing but problems.

Here is what i've been seeing:

a) unusually high CPU usage for no apparent reason. CPU usage will spike to almost 100% for several seconds before coming back to ~4%
b) server not pushing out the correct FPS. With the srcdsfpsbooster and the correct rate settings i'm only seeing about 200 fps actually hit the client.
c) unable to connect to the steam master servers. i have had this happen several times, not mod related, on clean srcds installs. I'd load up the server and it would timeout and not connect. Firewall off/No antivirus. Actually had to reinstall os to fix this issue so the server would even connect to steam and now it drops randomly.
d) tying in with the rest of these things, I put up and configured a second css server, no boost, no mods, and it ate up so many resources both servers were unplayable.
e) unable to get into remote desktop - I am unable at times to load up remote desktop. Only after several tries I finally get in.

Don't get me wrong, I've had NFO servers in the past and I think you guys are the best out there but this is a bit ridiculous.

I know some of it could be me, as i am not totally experienced with server 2k8 (but i atleast know what im doing) but this cant all be related to improper configuration by me.

I've put about 20 hours in over the last week tinkering around with this hunk o' crap and now i'm just frustrated.

If you could chime in on all this it would be much appreciated.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Edge, If you could take a look and offer up your advice.

Post by Edge100x »

This sounds like it might be more than just a software problem within the VDS, actually.

I had another customer with similar problems with Windows 2008 and to resolve them I moved him to a machine running a newer virtualization platform and tweaked a couple of settings on my end. These are changes that I was planning to roll out early next week for all customers (I just want to be absolutely sure they don't break anything first), but I can likely apply them to your VDS sooner, at least partially. Please email me at support@nfoservers.com and I can talk about more specific options with you there.

Note added in November 2009: This problem was completely resolved with later updates to Xen.